Author Topic: Hello from SW Missouri  (Read 2762 times)

fkeese

Hello from SW Missouri
« on: July 20, 2008, 07:06:30 PM »
Hello, I live in SW  Missouri and recently had the pleasure of meeting John the Cheesehead while visiting my son. We talked cheese and tasted cheese and had a nice visit. I have made camemberts, blues, a provolone, and several rind washed smelly cheeses. I only make cheese in the cold months and ripen it in a cold room. No failures but nothing tastes similar to the real thing either.

Cheese Head

Hello from SW Missouri
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 07:35:26 PM »
Hello Fred, John here, great to see you joined us, that was a good July 4th party, beer keg, pool volleyball, and impromtu cheese tasting ;D. I wrote about it here.

Also great to see that you've made many different cheeses although I haven't tried a rind washed smelly cheese yet.

Any advice would be appreciated, especially on Camembert as I tried twice last weekend and both are flops. Records #1 here and #2 here.

Again welcome!

reg

Re: Hello from SW Missouri
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 11:12:02 AM »
good morning and welcome Fred. good to see more new faces with experience

reg

DaggerDoggie

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 07:52:07 PM »
Welcome to the Cheese Forum.  I hope you can give us some insights from your cheese making experiences.  I have yet to make provolone, but it's one of my favorite cheeses.

Heathers

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 03:09:20 PM »
Hi Fred-

Welcome; I just joined the forum recently too. I am very interested in washed rind cheeses myself. I've attempted many types of cheeses and have and had only marginal success with ones like Epoisses and Meunster.

For some reason not alot of cheesemakers on the forums I visit make these types. Can't wait to ask you about them.

Heather

Cheese Head

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 03:54:21 PM »
I'd also like some info as I've never made any but did recently buy some B Linens, picture here so all set to go!

Any tricks and traps type info appreciated.

Tea

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 09:18:41 PM »
Hi Fred and welcome.  I must admit that I too have been looking at the washed rind and linen wraps wondering if I could get past the smell of them ripening, so any hints and advice would be much apreciated.
Great to have you here.