Author Topic: Greetings from the urban cheesemaker  (Read 2152 times)

Herb N Cheddr

Greetings from the urban cheesemaker
« on: July 16, 2008, 10:45:37 PM »
Wow!  It's great to know there are so many aspiring artisan cheesemakers out there.

I've been making cheese in my small apartment in Vancouver, Canada for the past 5 years.  Started with the soft cheeses and feta and really didn't experiment too much outside these wonderful cheeses.

This year I decided to semi-retire and focus on learning more about cheesemaking.  I call it "following your bliss" and blissful it has been. 

In the early spring I spent 6 weeks working with the fabulous cheesemakers Julia and Susan Grace of Moonstruck Organic Cheese on Saltspring Island.  Loved, loved, loved it!  Learned so much, especially not to be afraid to try something new and that even a mistake can turn out to be a really cool cheese.

Also realized there is a whole lot more to cheesemaking  than just sticking my hands in those gallons of lovely curds.  So, instead of the potential business venture, I'm just having fun, much to the delight of family and friends.

I'm looking forward to participating in the forum!
Cheers,
Betty in Kits

Many's the long night I've dreamed of cheese, toasted mostly.  R.L. Stevenson

DaggerDoggie

Re: Greetings from the urban cheesemaker
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 10:50:34 PM »
Welcome to the CheeseForum.

Sounds like you are quite experienced at this and have taken the time to really learn the art from experienced cheese makers.

Looking forward to your input. ;D

Cheese Head

Greetings from the urban cheesemaker
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 11:50:31 PM »
Hi Betty in Kitsilano (I grew up in North Van), also welcome to this forum.

Congrats on 5 years of making cheese, looking forward to some great advice, fun recipes etc, hope you can help.

Some of my "mistakes" have still been fun!

Tea

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 03:11:30 AM »
Welcome to the board.  Hope to learn lots from you.
Like you I also kept pretty much to feta and easy cheeses for a couple of years, and had only recently, ventured out into other cheeses.
Can't wait for your imput.

reg

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 11:07:48 AM »
welcome Betty, great to have you on board. looking forward to your input

reg