Author Topic: Raw Milk Cheesemaking In USA, Legal Issues?  (Read 4191 times)

rikbrooks

Raw Milk Cheesemaking In USA, Legal Issues?
« on: February 15, 2010, 01:04:34 PM »
I've found that raw milk in my area goes for $8 a gallon and is sold "pet quality". I know that I can use raw milk if the cheese is aged more than a few months.

I am considering buying a cow to make cheese and butter. Is the FDA or somebody going to come breaking down my door because I'm not licensed in something or other? I intend on selling in local stores, to neighbors and maybe online.

Just any help in what might be legal hurdles I need to cross before I buy that hefer.

linuxboy

Re: Raw Milk Cheesemaking In USA, Legal Issues?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 02:47:13 PM »
Before you do anything, check with the dairy board in your state for what you need to do. You have to comply with PMO regs for processing (omitting the pasteurizer logs and steps), even if you're not pasteurizing.

MrsKK

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 01:44:54 PM »
Most states are VERY stringent about what you have to do in order to sell raw milk.  I live in Wisconsin and it is completely illegal to sell raw milk.  I do have people that buy it for their pets - what they do with it when they take it off my property is their business.

I love having my own cow and the dairy products that we enjoy here at home, but would have to have a grade A dairy and a commercial kitchen in order to sell cheeses, butter, yogurt, etc. legally.  Even with a grade A dairy, farmers in Wisconsin cannot sell raw milk for human consumption.

Check with your state's ag department to see what you need to do to be legal, as they are all different.

cmharris6002

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 02:18:06 PM »
For an overview on state by state regulations check here,
http://realmilk.com/milk-laws-1.html

wharris

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 10:19:36 PM »
In many states, possession of raw milk is taken more serious than possession of marijuana.

Ridiculous if you ask me.

Tom Turophile

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 11:19:51 PM »
In many states, possession of raw milk is taken more serious than possession of marijuana.

Ridiculous if you ask me.

I wonder about Vermont, then!

cmharris6002

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 01:01:08 AM »
Worse than marijuana, raw milk is actually considered a bio-hazard.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 02:22:10 AM »
A bio hazard? That's ridiculas! Unless the cows are sick with mad cow or something. I guess it's easier and less risky to hunt down a poor farmer than a real criminal.