Author Topic: Gruyere  (Read 3509 times)

reg

Gruyere
« on: July 21, 2008, 12:44:40 PM »
i know that Gruyere is in the Alpine family of cheeses but we don't often see recipies for this particular cheese. wonder what the differences are from the Alpine style cheese recipe that is posted ?

reg

DaggerDoggie

Re: Gruyere
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 08:25:43 PM »
I have made a couple and they are very similar to your Alpine cheese.  I think the only difference is the addition of Proprionic Acid which makes holes in Swiss cheese, but Gruyere is aged at cool temperatures from the start, instead of room temperature, so it has tiny holes.

reg

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 10:09:42 AM »
thanks DD. " but Gruyere is aged at cool temperatures from the start, instead of room temperature, so it has tiny holes. "

could you expand on the cooler temps part or direct me to more info ?

thanks again

DaggerDoggie

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 07:59:37 PM »
This is the basic recipe I followed, but I used four and five gallons of milk respectively each time.
http://www.cheesemaking.com/store/pg/24.html

As Swiss is aged for several weeks at room tempertature, this goes right into a 55 degree cave.

reg

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 10:53:24 AM »
thanks for the input and recipe DD. i did see that one posted but it is a bit vague.

anyone out there have a recipe that they are willing to share or can direct me to a recipe/method

thanks in advance

reg

DaggerDoggie

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 04:26:05 PM »
Reg, did you look at the bottom of the page?  The specific recipe is listed there.

reg

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 12:47:55 PM »
did look at it DD but still thought there were some spaces left out.

what i ended up doing is finding as much info as i could then writing out a recipe i thought might work. it will never be the same as a Swiss or French version because of the distinct pasturage they have but i will be giving it a go in the near future. decided to go with the Frech version because i like the idea of the small holes in the final product. have to order some proprionic acid asap

reg