Author Topic: too much rennet in brie / cambozola  (Read 2292 times)

caseyJames

too much rennet in brie / cambozola
« on: January 29, 2010, 12:58:24 AM »
So I’m fairly new to cheesemaking, about a year, and on my 10th cheese.  I decided i was going to do 2 petite brie and 2 cambozola, cause that’s about what i would get from 2 gal. milk.  I followed ricki carrol’s recipe for petite brie, hers is for 1/2 gal milk.  I adjusted rennett accordingly and i did notice it set up faster than my other brie attempts.  a few days into aging, waiting for bloom, it dawned on me that the rennett I have is the double strength, so I added twice the amount needed!  Now the cheese is blooming, i’m only about 1 week into it, and am not sure what to expect.  from what I’ve read, it may become bitter with age.  So, should I just eat this at a younger age?  Any other advice?  Also, how long can I expect a “normal” (1/2 lb.) brie to age before eating?  The last one i had aged too long (wasn’t inspecting often enough) and had amonia smell.  I do have a “cave” in the form of a small fridge with temp control set about 48.

Thanks!  Love this site, I think I’ve read everything on here and it’s helped tremendously!

Casey

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: too much rennet in brie / cambozola
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 08:33:42 AM »
Did you use the amount recommended on the label or did the recipe have an amount listed? Always best to go by the label as different manufacturers have different types and strengths. I let it go. This is a young cheese and not aged for a very long time anyway. It needs time to develop.

captaincurd

Re: too much rennet in brie / cambozola
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 02:01:07 AM »
you didn't say how long it took to set.  It will probably be fine.  just give it a couple of weeks and enjoy.
aging is a function of temp and humidity, normally around 11 to14 days.