Author Topic: My first Tallegio  (Read 4091 times)

Bella

My first Tallegio
« on: April 14, 2009, 02:49:24 AM »
I was REALLY impatient to try this one, but managed to allow it to go full course, even a few days longer as my family were visiting and I wanted to taste it with them. What a treat!!! This one is very definitely my favourite cheese for the moment. The rind was a little salty as was the paste, but not so much that it detracted from the overall feel of smothness in the mouth. This is one to put on your ‘must try’ list.

eVenom

Re: My first Tallegio
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 04:34:31 AM »
Tallegio ? I haven't tried this cheese yet looks really good!

can you describe the flavor!?

Bella

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 05:09:10 AM »
G'day eVenom
Now, I am probably the world's worst at describing in words things I taste - I either like it, or I don't! This I definitely like, but I'll give it a go at a description.

The first taste that is noticeable is the saltiness - it's not overpowering, but definitely there. The texture is semi-soft, a bit like a good camembert when it first comes out of the frig (not that I've mastered a good camembert yet). The paste really does melt in the mouth, and is very smooth and silky.

I'm probably at my descriptive limit here - have a go at this cheese - it is definitly worth the effort.

eVenom

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 02:56:53 PM »
Can you post the recipe that you used!? so we can try it

Bella

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 09:34:18 PM »
TALLEGIO RECIPE

1.   Pasteurise the milk and bring it to a setting temperature of 32oC. (No starter is used for this cheese if fresh milk is used. If it has been stored, then Type C [thermophilic] starter is used). Can add Geotrichum and Brevibacterium linens as well (I didn't have it when I made this cheese so didn't add it)

2.   Add rennet at a rate of 1.5 mL for each 10L of milk. Dilute with at least 10 times its volume of cooled boiled water. Mix in well for no less than one minute and no more than 3 minutes. Maintain setting temperature.

3.   Allow the milk to set. This should take 60 minutes.

4.   Cut the curd into 50 – 70mm cubes and let stand for 5 minutes.

5.   Cut the curd again into 12 mm sized pieces and let stand for a further 5 minutes.

6.   Remove whey down to level of curds.

7.   Stir gently and ladle curds into hoops, preferably open-ended, on matting.

8.   Turn cheeses at end of hooping, and repeat this twice more, the first after one hour, and then again 1 hour later.

9.   Leave to drain 18 – 24 hours at 21-25oC until cheese reaches pH 5.3

10.   Rub cheese with coarse flake dry salt and remove to ageing room next day.

11.   Age at 3 – 6oC with 90% RH on wooden shelves or plastic matting.

12.   The cheeses are periodically turned and brushed with brine or wiped with brine-soaked cloths to promote growth of yeasts and coryneform bacteria. Turning and washing is done every 2-3 days for 2 weeks and then every 3-4 days for 3 more weeks. Cheeses are wrapped in sulfur-coated paper and stored at 4oC until ready for sale at 60 days of age.

Tea

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 08:56:41 PM »
Thanks for this Bella.  This is another cheese I am going to have to try.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 01:01:37 AM »
Thanks Bella I just got a Tallegio mold from Glengarry can't wai to try it out. I've never had these type of cheese before.

kissesforquesos

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 04:26:06 AM »
That looks delicious. Tallegio is my favorite cheese, and those pictures are making me want to go to my local shop and get some... oh wait i have some left in my fridge. ;D    Thanks for sharing. 

Bella

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 06:48:22 AM »
Hi DjD
Don't wait too long - it sure is a great cheese, and no, I'd never tried it before either. There's another one in my fridge almost ready to crack, and I can't wait.

After this washed rind cheese, I decided to try a few others, and they have also been fantastic. When I get a minute to put a post together with some photos, I'll do so.

They are reblochon, st. nectaire, st paulin, port salut and fontina (I think you posted in that thread - they have a few more weeks to go), but the reblochon - wow. My French neighbour reckons it's great, so that's a good guide - I guess!
B

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 03:39:34 AM »
Congrats Bella sound like you have a wonderful variety of cheeses to try. I need to experiment some with soft cheeses. I have very litle experience wth them whether it be eatting or making them.