Author Topic: Limburger Anyone?  (Read 23988 times)

Tea

Re: Limburger Anyone?
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2008, 04:19:49 AM »
Ok, so this is what I am trying to get at.  Is the limburger/havarti rind, washed/removed before it is sold, just like the blue vein cheese exterior is trimmed of the excess blue mould before sale/presentation?

I just couldn't imagine handling and eating a sticky red/orange stinky rind while eating, and not being effected by the smell of the bacteria.

Likesspace

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2008, 06:31:55 PM »
Tea,
I was also tempted to try a bite of limburger a few months ago since I had never eaten a cheese I didn't care for. I figured that all I had to do was get past the smell and the cheese would be to my liking.
In a word.......WRONG
This was the most noxious thing I have ever put in my mouth (by far).
A few hours after tasting it, I could still get a "mental whiff" and would nearly gag.
The limburger I bought did have the sticky red/orange rind and the cheese itself was very soft. Nothing had been trimmed off of the cheese from what I could tell.
I just can't get past thinking that someone, somewhere had to be the first to try this stuff.
If I ever opened my cave and smelled something like this I would think "Oh darn, my cheese went bad." Never.....NEVER would I actually think about trying a bite just to be sure. :-)
Dave

Cheese Head

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2008, 07:26:30 PM »
Likesspace, after that review how can I say no ;)?

Love a challenge, have asked for some from daughters for Christmas Day :o!

Tea

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2008, 07:48:40 PM »
You might want the girls to give you a hug and kiss before you eat the cheese.  It might be the only ones you get all day  :D

Likesspace

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2008, 03:18:43 PM »
LOL@Tea! That is exactly what I was thinking!
So, did you get your limburger and did you like it?
Please give us your review.
Oh, and a late Merry Christmas to you all.
Dave

Cheese Head

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2008, 04:29:40 PM »
Likesspace/Tea

I got Muenster somehow we got our wires crossed ???.

Tea

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2008, 07:43:54 PM »
Ok, so have you tried it?  What's it like?

Likesspace

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2008, 10:35:16 PM »
Okay Cheese Head, here's what you do.....
Take that Muenster out of the package......lay it out in the hot sun for about two and a half weeks......cover it with fresh horse manure for a month or so  and it should turn into something like a mild limburger.
Let us know how it turns out.  ;D

Dave

Tea

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2008, 07:14:31 PM »
ROLF Likesspace, your descriptions get better and better.  I an beginning to feel compelled to find some of this cheese.  :D

wharris

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2008, 09:31:40 PM »
Likespace forgot the required week in the diaper pail.

;)

Tea

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2008, 09:39:12 PM »
Hey, in that case I think I've got all the necessary requirements then.   ;D

Likesspace

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2008, 11:09:09 PM »
LOL....Yes! The diaper pail might just turn it into medium Limburger!
Brilliant!!

Dave

Cheese Head

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2008, 11:27:04 PM »
OK, part of daughter's bedroom painted, Camembert curds are in their hoops, 5PM, time to cut the cheese and glass of wine! Muenster that is, store bought, mass manufactured for grocery chain's own brand, even came in ziplock bag.

How was it? OK, homogeneous, orange from surface mold on outside, light OK smell, medium taste, a let down as nothing special . . . still have to get some Limburger . . .

Likesspace

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2008, 01:40:42 AM »
Cheese Head....
Muenster is actually one of my favorite cheeses. It is probably one of the best melting cheeses on the market.
If you want to try something great, take some thin slices of Muenster and make a grilled cheese sandwich out of it. The taste is fantastic.
Seriously, even though Muenster is a washed rind cheese, it is NOTHING like Limburger. Of course American Muenster is nothing at all like the original Munster. The original has been called "The poor man's Limburger" but the Muenster we buy here in the states is a very mild, nice cheese.
Limburger is really not that hard to find. If you have a Kroger's or other good supermarket near you, they should have it availble. The only advice I can give is to buy the absolute smallest piece you can find. Limburger is not an inexpensive cheese (a quarter lb. costs us about $5.00) and if your taste is like mine it will be thrown in the trash (or better yet, buried deeply in a hated neighbors yard).
Give it a try. I'm dying to hear someone else's opinion on this "delicacy".

Dave

wharris

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2008, 03:13:07 AM »
Buried in the neighbors yard..... That's great.

Boy,  one could really really do some evil things with limburger if one was so inclined.