Author Topic: Limburger Anyone?  (Read 23987 times)

Cheese Head

Re: Limburger Anyone?
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2008, 03:38:53 AM »
Likesspace/Dave

Thanks for the support, wasn't saying Muenster was bad just stuff my wife bought me was mass production grade, I'll will try it on toast and try to buy some Limburger, but we warned, I do like stinky things and love The King of Fruits, Durian 8), so my jury is still out on Limburger.

Tea

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2008, 07:51:48 PM »
Well I have to admit, if you can eat a durian, you probably could eat limburger!
I remember when we were driving through Jakarta, you knew long before you got there, that there was a durian stall coming up.  The durian icecream wasnt too bad, but could come at the fruit.

Cheese Head

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2009, 12:39:37 AM »
OK, while my folks were visiting 10 days ago I bought a small US made Limburger Cheese from local store, only one brand and size. Sorry for this delayed post.

It was wrapped in a paper label inside which was thin tin foil layer inside which the cheese was wrapped in two layers of thin wax paper.

Once open, to my surprise it got a strong reaction ;D. My folks both declined saying they had tried it before, my wife described it as "smells like a men's gym locker room or old ice hockey gear or old sweaty socks" and wanted it out of the house, and yes it is very very pungent.

The rind is very thin and the pate is soft and moist, taste is very nice, hard to describe not nearly as strong as the smell, I definitely like it ;D.

Cheese Head

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2009, 12:50:39 AM »
Second set of pictures . . .

Likesspace

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2009, 02:04:05 AM »
John,
All I can say is that you have bad judgement (for trying it) and bad taste (for liking it).  :D
Honestly I know there have to be some people that like this cheese or it would have gone out of existence long ago.
It is just not at all to my liking, in fact I feel like your wife. It does not belong in the house.
Maybe that should be a new rule: Limburger eating is an outdoor sport. I'm sure your wife will go along with it. :-)
Really, I just can't get past the smell. Taste is supposed to change as you get older so maybe I could learn to like it with enough time. I do know that just a few years ago the smell of blue cheese nearly made me gag. Now it is one of my favorites.
Thanks for the update. Now you need to try making some of this and let us know how it goes!

Dave

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2009, 02:07:40 AM »
You have to get past the smell, it's not my favorite.

John you're only going to find one brand, there is only ONE US manufacturer of Limberger. I've seen other labels but it's all from the same cheese maker.

chilipepper

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2009, 03:39:12 AM »
Ok, this is a very interesting thread. I too, like John, have to try this stuff now!  Like it or hate it.. it somehow seems like some crude sort of right of passage of the cheesemaker! :)

I remember as a kid my dad had gotten this really REALLY stinky after-shave for Christmas.  No-one could stand it and eventually it made its way into the working barn and used to aide in helping a cow 'adopt' a calf that was orphaned!  We sprayed it on the cow and the calf and they usually found each other and were none the wiser!  So if nothing else I figure I can find some other creative uses for something this stinky.

All in the name of research and development!

Cheese Head

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2009, 04:09:03 AM »
Wayne, just noticed that my pictures are very similar to yours above.

Tea, Durian ice cream and Durian smoothie is also wonderful!

Carter, yes, I think it was on the Modern Marvels -Cheese TV Show that they said it used to be very very popular cheese in USA but now only one manufacturer left in US.

Dave, OK, the challenge is made, this weekend "I'm Making Waffles" . . . . oops that was from movie Shrek, I mean "I'm Making Limburger"! (My family will not be amused).

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2009, 06:27:34 AM »
They won't be amusing in a few weeks, it doesn't start off stinky. But thanks for taking the plunge and putting your family at risk for the rest of us.

wharris

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2009, 01:35:21 PM »
I bought the same brand. (not that I had a choice....)

This food should be featured on the those reality shows like "survivor" where you need to eat disgusting things.

But I do agree that the privilege of complaining about how bad this cheese's smell is should be reserved for only those that have gone out,  purchased it, taken it home, opened it, and ate a FULL piece of it.  And in that light, it is a right of passage, and I recommend everyone do it...
;)

stuartjc

« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2009, 02:46:36 PM »
I have to admit that blue cheese is one of the few that I will flat out *not* eat.

Well... it used to be. Until I read Garret Olliver's book on pairing beer and food, wherein he raves about the pairing of "stinky cheese" and barleywine.

I have to say... I *can* eat *small* amounts of "stinky" cheese, so long as I have a good barleywine to hand. So maybe some of you braver souls could try the combo of Limburger and barleywine and report the results back here  ;D

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2009, 07:01:31 PM »
It's really the smell, the cheese is not that bad.

stuartjc

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2009, 07:20:03 PM »
It's really the smell, the cheese is not that bad.

no, it's the taste  :o

wharris

« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2009, 07:52:34 PM »
Smell and taste are quite close in my book. 

To Carters point, it *did* taste better than it smelled, 
But to Stuart's point, I was burping up ass for about 2 hours after.

(my apologies if that was harsh,  sometimes there is just no other way to impart a particular impression.)

stuartjc

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2009, 09:47:06 PM »

But to Stuart's point, I was burping up ass for about 2 hours after.

...   :o :o :o

TMI!

:D