Author Topic: Limburger Anyone?  (Read 23985 times)

Cheese Head

Re: Limburger Anyone?
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2009, 01:01:10 AM »
Thanks guys, I'm going to try making this, be +ve!

wharris

« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2009, 01:07:32 AM »
i'm not one to toss those words around lightly, but ever so often, you must call it like you see it. 

Sorry if my post crossed a line.

Cheese Head

« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2009, 01:13:55 AM »
No sorry, didn't cross a line, in fact it came from a line, crack line that is ;D.

In fact I like to think like Quinlan when he said higher up in this thread in this great post of his:

Limburger is a surface ripened cheese. Its powerful aroma comes from its rind. The surface bacteria release enzymes which breakdown/ripen the curd/cheese beneath the rind.

The bacteria which colonise the rind are called Brevitium Linens, there are about 200 species of this bacteria.

If you don't wash your feet regularly yes some of these bacteria may colonise between your toes. Hence the possibility of a similar smell, however sweaty feet carry many more noxious niffs than does the Limburger.

Its unfortunate that this smear ripened cheese suffers the smear campaign of smelling like feet. You never hear of people describing a blue cheese as smelling like mouldy bread or of Parmesan tasting like calf vomit. Its not a proper way of contrasting your food.

You need to try some, its delicious, it wouldn't be a delicacy if it tasted like feet!

stuartjc

« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2009, 01:25:06 AM »
Wayne, I found your comment hilarious  ;D

I was seriously laughing out loud, because that's what I thought of durien!

Likesspace

« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2009, 02:21:45 AM »
Cracked me up as well, Wayne.
Also, I agree that it's not only the smell, it's definately the taste.
I truly gave this cheese I try....I WANTED to like it. I just could not get past the point of wanting to gag everytime I even though about the taste in my mouth.
At least I was able to keep a straight face long enough to get my wife to try a tiny bite. I'll never forget the sound of my oldest daughter's voice screaming, "She's gonna puke!"
Even though it wasn't the nicest thing to do (as my wife was running towards the trash can) I burst out laughing. In hindsight that might not have been a good idea.

Dave

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2009, 06:47:50 AM »
Wayne, Wayne, Wayne, I seriously doubt that, remember that time in Tijuana and you got dysentery and I had to drag you across the border to an American hospital that takes Blue Cross, then you were burping up ass...literally.

Cheese Head

« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2009, 11:50:44 AM »
Teenagers taking the Limburger Challenge:

Making Limburger Sandwiches:

kissesforquesos

« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2009, 04:23:40 AM »
I love limburger. As long as I can remember my dad was bringing home limburger and aged german brick. I feel it's something you grow accustomed to. Just be sure to wash your hands really well afterwards. Also, beware of cooking it. I like making limburger omelettes, but peewooo :'( .