Author Topic: Rennet Free Brie?  (Read 5345 times)

Michael_A

Rennet Free Brie?
« on: January 31, 2010, 03:29:26 AM »
I was at the local supermarket today and they had a Woolwich Dairy Triple Cream Goat Brie.  I looked at their website and they say that it is rennet free.  It didn't seem at all acid, so I was wondering what the coagulation mechanism is?  Could someone explain to me?
Thanks,
Michael

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Rennet Free Brie?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 08:30:03 AM »
Various enzymes can also be used. porcine pepsin is one I can think of off hand. I am not sure if that is stil considered a rennet though.

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 03:30:07 PM »
The definition of rennet is not very clear, in the old days it meant animal based rennet. Now you can get microbial based "rennet" or as Debi says, coagulants from other sources.

Also, Brie type cheeses can be made based largely on lactic acid coagulated method which uses very little to no "rennet". If you contact the manufacturer let us know!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 10:17:25 PM »
I was going through my collection of cheese notes and such and it seems to me I read somewhere (although I'm sorry I can't find it - must have been lost in the crash last month), That someone made a camembert with Clabber and no rennet but left the curds to settle for a few days before cutting.

Karen does that sound familuar? You seem to be the most knowledgable about using clabber.

iratherfly

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 10:39:10 PM »
It's probably some plant dirived enzyme substitute that does the same thing but no one called it Rennet... They do this to market for vegetarian and kosher cheeses. Is this Kosher? (Either K in a circle, U in a circle and/or reads "Chalav Yisrael")

Michael_A

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 11:22:54 PM »
I emailed Woolwich this morning and I find by reply that they are using a microbial enzyme to coagulate the curd.  For vegetarian friendliness reasons.  So I guess that answers my question.

Thanks,
Michael

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 01:16:50 AM »
Sounds like a veggie rennet to me. Guess they think the vegetarians are only familiar with the word rennet.