Author Topic: Tried a New Recipe From Dansco - Reggianito  (Read 2104 times)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Tried a New Recipe From Dansco - Reggianito
« on: February 01, 2010, 12:42:18 AM »
Not sure where to put this exactly.

Last spring I got this recipe with some cultures from Egon at Dansco in Canada. Really nice guy.

Anyway I finally got around to trying it out. I really wasn't feeling like making cheese this weekend I have been fighting a bug for the past 3 days but my old supplier called and her milk is so sweet I couldn't resist going up there and getting while the getting was good.

The first trick was trying to skim the milk. This milk is 5% fat. I let it sit in the basement over night to separate. The water pipe coming up from the floor froze so it was cold enough. Good thing the corney kegs are double walled there were some ice cunks in the milk.

Skimming from corney kegs is NOT easy! I used a small soup dipper which barely fit in the oblong opening if you turned it just so. No pictures of that but lets just say I had to wash the kitchen floor I splashed and dripped so much. I am pretty sure this milk was still way over 2% after skimming but oh well. It'll live.

Here the recipe:

Reggianito - Adapted from recipe by Danlac
Reggianito is a very hard, granular, cows' milk cheese from Argentina whose origins lie with immigrant Italians who wished to make a cheese reminiscent of their native Parmigiano Reggiano. The name — the Spanish dimunitive of "Reggiano" — refers to the fact that the cheese is produced in small 6.8 kg wheels, rather than the huge Parmigiano-Reggiano drums

Ingredients:
cow’s milk with .2 %  fat (initial pH 6.55)
Choozit Alp  LYO 100
Rennet

Procedure:
Pasturize milk at 158 to 162°F for 25 – 20 seconds
Cool milk to to 90°F
Preripen for  5 - 20 minutes  pH should be 6.40 to 6.45  (renneted a pH 6.44)
Add rennet
Coagulation time  15 – 30 minutes (actual flocation time 5.5 minutes)
Setting time 25 to 30 minutes. (Used spinning bowl method with a 2.5 multiplier)
Once clean break is achieved cut curd into 1/8 inch pieces - use a whisk to break up curds.
Rest curds for 5 minutes.
Stir for 15 minutes.
Heat water equal to 1/4 of the whey  to 140°F. (pH 6.38)
Drain of between 1/3 and 1/2 of the whey and stir gently for 15 minutes.
Add 140°F hot water to raise the temperature of the curd to 95 to 100°F.
Stir the curds for 10 to 15 minutes.
Add 140°F hot water to raise the temperature of the curd to 112°F.
Stir the curds for 10 to 30 minutes.
Drain off most of the whey and press curds under the whey letting no air come in contact with the curds with  about 2 pounds of weight for 1 hour.
Flip Cheese and press curds under the whey with  about 20 pounds of weight for another hour.
(pH at demolding 5.25)
Ferment at room temperature. About 75°F placing the cheese in special bands to keep shape for 20 to 40 hours.
Brine for 3 to 4 hours depending on size. (brine pH 5.30)
(chesse pH after brining 5.14)
Dry at at  75°F, 75 %  relative humidity for  1 – 3 days.
Age at 50 to 60 °F for at least  6 months, best if matured for  1 – 2 years

Brentsbox

Re: Tried a New Recipe From Dansco - Reggianito
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 07:40:19 PM »
DeeJayDebi,

I was reading this post of yours from a while back and thought i might give you a thought.  You may have figured something like this out allready but I have found that one of those little plastic meat injectors works great to skim off the cream.  I just dont use the needle.   I guess a turkey baster would work to but I have always just used the hipo-injector.   

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Tried a New Recipe From Dansco - Reggianito
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 03:45:05 AM »
Actually no I hadn't thought of that yet. I'll bet it works well too. Thanks hon! I will try that next time! A cheese for help an old dog learn a new trick!  ;D