Author Topic: What to buy  (Read 1873 times)

Pineywoods

What to buy
« on: February 01, 2010, 06:06:45 AM »
I have read many threads here and am still confussed as what would be best to make a cave a small compact fridge, a full size fridge with freezer, or an upright freezer with the coils outside it. I have found the Johnson Digital Control for whatever I get just having a hard time figuring out what would work best. Room for it isn't a problem and I could more than likely buy a used full size fridge for the same price as a new compact one.

Majoofi

Re: What to buy
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 07:30:20 AM »
I've been using a compact refrigerator with the an external thermostat I think it's Johnson. It works pretty well But It has a freezer which as it constantly frosts over and thaws means I have to occasionally drain the drip tray. I am also limited by the size and have been thinking about getting a full size one without a freezer.

I also think that a larger cave would retain a more consistent temperature.

But my small one I picked up at costco for about $40.00 and the best deal I've seen on a full size one without a freezer is over $400.00 so if you haven't committed to making a lot of cheese it might not be worth it.

Cheese Head

Re: What to buy
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 02:15:31 PM »
Piney
  • I initially tried a small chest style freezer with external Johnson Thermostat in garage, even without opening lid or adding humidity it quickly built up to 100% and I got condensation on inside walls which is where coils are and in time got puddles of water on bottom of freezer. Not good. Member DaggerDoggie also tried same with same results. The other problem with it was awkward access.
  • Some others have tried vertical shelved type freezers, but found that condensation builds on the coils which are normally just under shelves resulting in condensation dripping onto cheeses. Not good. Most members have gone away from/given up on them.
  • Most people seem to have ended up with regular household fridges, size is your choice. Without a freezer section is preferable as that will be a wasted space but rare/tough to find. For humidity, most larger newer style fridges are forced air with coils and evaporation tray on outside resulting in very dry forced air and having to add lots of humidity. Non-forced air and coils on inside is better but rare.
  • Lastly, adding humidity is way easier than removing excess humidity.
It all depends on what you want to do?

PS: Some members have two fridges to (try and) keep blue type cheeses away from others as blue loves to jump.