Author Topic: CHEESE HELP: Need Advice On Starting A Business Focusing On Cheese Spreads  (Read 3755 times)

tsCheese

Hey Cheese Lovers/Entrepreneurs:

I have been working on enhancing some cheese spread family recipes and they seem to be a great hit with my family and friends. I thought I give it a try at a local farmers market and it was even a bigger hit. Now I am looking to try to distribute this on a larger scale.

Anyone know where I can get detailed information on the legal info on selling domestically instate, statewide and/or internationally based out of California?

I am also looking packing information to by mail order?

Right now, I have resorted to reading the top sellers list on Amazon through local library regarding the above, but the information helpful as is, does not really address the above issues directly.

Any suggestions or comments are welcomed.

Thank you.

Tara

Cheese Head

Re: CHEESE HELP: Need Advice On Starting A Business Focusing On Cheese Spreads
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 02:01:09 PM »
Hi Tara, welcome to the forum, congrats on your new business!

Sorry but I have no idea, but what are cheese spreads? Are you buying some sort of cheese, adding a flavouring to it, then repackaging and reselling or are you making your own flavoured cheese in a spreadable format?

Answers will I think help others to reply to your two questions on regulations and packaging.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 04:18:41 PM »
Tara,

Cheese spreads are not considered a manufactured product because you are simply combining ingredients to create something new - just like a restaurant combines ingredients. Consequently you do not have to go through the same bureaucratic hoops that are required for cheese making. Just contact your local Board of Health, not the state, and they will tell you what you need to do.

In general they will not allow you to make things like this out of a home kitchen and you will have to meet the same standards as any restaurant.

rlatta

why does that make my spider sense tingle?

FRANCOIS

Cheese Spreads are a processed cheese under CODEX, so they are similar in regulation to regular cheese in terms of micro testing etc.  I don't really see how you are making them at home and I suspect that any recipe you have developed would not scale up very well.  Processed cheese is very, very tricky if you wnat to get a stable product with a descent shelf life.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
why does that make my spider sense tingle?

May be very interesting the first post is for making $$$

TINGLE TINGLE TINGLE

ClarencePJ

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 10:09:14 AM »
Cheddar spreads 70-413  are not viewed as a made item in light of the fact that you are essentially joining fixings to make something new - much the same as a restaurant consolidates fixings. Thusly you don't need to experience the same bureaucratic bands that are needed for cheddar making. Simply contact your neighborhood Board of Health, not the state, and they will let you know what you have to do.