Author Topic: Lack of curd formation  (Read 5155 times)

Veja

Lack of curd formation
« on: February 01, 2010, 09:59:01 PM »
Help! I am trying to make american mozzarella using Dr. Frankauser's recipe.  After adding the citric acid and rennet, and letting it sit undisturbed, it still hasn't formed the large curd to cut.  It has been sitting for three hours so far.   Does the ambient temperature in the kitchen have anything to do with curd formation?
Thanks for the help (I really need it- I'm o-3!)
veja

linuxboy

Re: Lack of curd formation
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 10:06:32 PM »
How did you dilute the rennet? Distilled ice cold water, use right away, and stir up-down for 15-20 strokes?

Veja

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 10:27:47 PM »
I used cool, approx 65 degrees, distilled water.  I dissolved it and used it with in about five minutes.  I stirred up and down about 7-10 times
thanks
veja

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 10:55:48 PM »
The water is a tad warm, but not terrible. It should be ice cold, about 33-40 degrees. Is your milk ultrapasteurized?

Veja

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 10:58:28 PM »
The milk is fresh from the dairy's store, pasteurized and unhomoginized.

Veja

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 12:19:23 AM »
My "cheese" has been resting for over six hours.  It still has about 1/4" of whey floating on top and the curd has not solidified.  Does anybody know what I should do next?  Is this batch destined for ....?
Thanks

linuxboy

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 12:27:57 AM »
What do you mean by curd not solidified? when you put a knife in, does it come out clean, or are there a lot of small floccules on it? What temp was the milk when you added everything in? It should have been 88 F.

From what you posted so far, it should have worked, unless your rennet is bad.

Veja

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 12:44:13 AM »
I have not achieved a "clean break".  There are still a  lot of small floccules on it.  The milk was at 89 degrees when I added the citric acid and the rennet.  The rennet was just purchased  a few days ago from a major supermarket.  It has the number 8226 stamped on the top.  (Don't know what they mean.)

Veja

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 03:33:26 AM »
I did check the number on the top of the box, 8226, and according to the Junket web site, it was produced in August of 2008 and has a 24 month shelf life. The rennet should be good.

linuxboy

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 03:48:01 AM »
Huh.. well I'm stuck. Seems like you did all the obvious things right. Maybe it's just the milk? Does this happen with other milk as well?

Cheese Head

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 03:56:56 AM »
Welcome Veja!

I don't know about making Moz or that recipe but adding Citric Acid & rennet seems to be redundant. FYI, Moz is one of the tougher cheeses to make.

Also, as you had a 1/4" of whey floating on top it sounds like you already had a good curd set quite a while ago and the curd is shrinking as it tries to expell whey.

Pictures really help. There's some info here on Coagulation and Coagulation problems.

linuxboy

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 04:02:42 AM »
Veja,

Does it just seem like a weak and fragile curd? Like it seems solid on top, but then when you take a spoon or knife and lift some out, instead of getting a nice cleave from the curd, it sort of turns into soup with lots of small curd bits? I've had that happen before. It's always been the milk in those cases. Even adding CaCl2 didn't help very much (I did a side by side once with milk like that, not much change with CaCl2 added).

Veja

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 04:10:17 AM »
It does seem to be a very weak curd.  I have not tried any other milk.  This was the best non-homogenized milk I could find.  It comes from the dairy's own store.  Any suggestions on what to do with the stuff that I have?  Should I let it set overnight?  When should I be concerned about spoilage?

To John (Ch)  Thanks for the link,   I am not getting the classic “clean break”.  Should I drain (pour) off the whey, cut them, and then start the warming cycle-as per the instructions?
Thanks

Veja

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 04:17:54 AM »
I have to correct myself.  The curd  does seem to be somewhat solid.  Even though it is under a layer of whey, should I cut the curd in cubes and proceed with the process?

linuxboy

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2010, 04:24:59 AM »
Yep, if it set, go for it! I started out with some colossal failures--only way to learn is to keep trying :)