Author Topic: Brie Cheese Making Recipe  (Read 10059 times)

Tea

Re: Brie Cheese Making Recipe
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2008, 09:36:14 PM »
Ok you should be able to see how the cheese has become softer since the last pics.
Any help/advice most welcome.

Cheese Head

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2008, 09:56:57 PM »
Tea, I read somewhere that camembert/brie is supposed to ripen from the outside in from the white mold and with it getting progressively softer from the outside in. But yours looks more like softer on the edges first, my first batch was a little like that. It's only supposed to be oozy at room temp, not runny. When you say the taste is very stong, is that in a nice brie way or different taste? Also, maybe next time slightly dryer curds before putting in hoops or spend longer in hoops to get lower moisture content. Remember my second camembert with cheese running out the side and it deflating, I think the problem was still too moist.

Tea

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2008, 10:30:29 PM »
Friday week ago I did another 5lt Brie so that I could get one round to fit the mould and the humidity control container.
Here ir is out of the humid envionment and  about to be wrapped for another week or 2.
So far this one looks and smells good, apart from where I caught it getting it out of the mould and ripped off a bit of cheese.

LadyLiberty

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2009, 01:06:03 AM »
Friday week ago I did another 5lt Brie so that I could get one round to fit the mould and the humidity control container.
Here ir is out of the humid envionment and  about to be wrapped for another week or 2.
So far this one looks and smells good, apart from where I caught it getting it out of the mould and ripped off a bit of cheese.

Tea, I would like to make a brie.  How did this eventually turn out?

Tea

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2009, 09:30:33 PM »
Hi Lady, well I have learnt a lot from these batches.  My biggest problem is being able to keep the cheese at a cool enough temp during maturing, and have resorted to putting them in the fridge to ripen, which of course slows the process down a little, but the last batch that I did this way was the best I have done so far.

I am tossing up making another batch and keeping them for the fridge whole process and see what happens.

Give it a go, if nothing else you will get to watch white mould grow and learn what ammonia cheese smells like.   ;D