Author Topic: Mixing raw and commercial milk  (Read 1523 times)

cheesewiz

Mixing raw and commercial milk
« on: February 06, 2010, 09:27:27 PM »
I think I read somewhere that it would not be good to mix raw milk with store-bought pasteurized/homogenized milk to make cheese. Is this correct? I want to make Stilton, which calls for whole milk and whipping cream (light or half and half). My milk is raw, but the cream is not. Will this work? What about in recipes that call for adding 1% milk to whole milk? Can I use raw for the whole milk and use pasteurized/homogenized milk for the skim milk and mix them?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 10:26:54 PM by cheesewiz »

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Mixing raw and commercial milk
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 02:52:45 AM »
I have done it and it works fine but pasteurize the milk unless it's aged for 60 days or more.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 03:15:45 AM »
Most store bought cream is ultrapasteurized, so mixing with raw is a VERY good thing.

Michael Stokes

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 01:11:32 AM »
I'm new to cheese making but, from what I've read so far, sounds like it should work fine.  The raw milk should have all the elements you need to create the cheese, structurally, chemically, and the cream adds butterfat.  My solution would be to skim the cream from the top of additional raw milk. Or, ask the farmer you get it from for cream. (or, if it's your own livestock...)