Author Topic: Camembert Salt uh oh!  (Read 2646 times)

Majoofi

Camembert Salt uh oh!
« on: February 09, 2010, 10:39:49 PM »
So i've got two gallons of milk with culture ripening as I speak, well, type. I took another peek at the recipe and then another one and realized that both Camembert recipes don't indicate at all how much salt to use. Just sprinkle! If you asked my Mom and my Dad how much salt was in a sprinkle they'd disagree by a factor of ten.

any ideas? it's either an emergency, or, well, an experiment.

Cheese Head

Re: Camembert Salt uh oh!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 11:24:46 PM »
The recipe here says 6-9 grams dry salt per cheese with an expectation of 3 standard Camembert sized cheeses from 1 US gallon of whole cow's milk.

May not be perfect but it's at least a target.

With your 2 US gallons milk I suspect you will get 5 camemberts, why not range the amounts with highest amount on one and lowest on another and let us know results.

Majoofi

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 11:54:08 PM »
cool, thanks. That gives me a basis to work with.

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 01:18:05 AM »
Hi Majoofi;
I usually make camembert with 2 gallons raw milk and get 4 cheeses. I salt each top and bottom side with .5t per side. Works for me.
Pam

simoncnx

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 03:26:29 AM »
hi Pam,

0.5t is how much?  teaspoon or tablespoon?

Sorry  im English....

Alex

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 08:02:21 AM »
I make Camembert counting 3 liters milk (2 pieces) as a basic batch. After heeling the curds a bit, I drain about 1/3 of the whey, mix in gently not less than 80 gr of salt until dissolved and then ladle the curds into moulds. It's perfect each time.

BigCheese

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 07:17:38 PM »
hi Pam,

0.5t is how much?  teaspoon or tablespoon?

Sorry  im English....

Prbably teaspoon. Generally a lowercase will be tea and uppercase will be Table.

The_blue

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 06:47:16 AM »
Sorry  I'm English....

Same here but I'm not sorry ;)

It feels like i spend half my time on here converting measurements to metric lol.

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 02:03:10 AM »
Sorry I missed this. I meant one half a teaspoon. Yes, wouldn't it be easier if the world all used the same system!