Author Topic: cheese hoop question from a newbie  (Read 1998 times)

padams

cheese hoop question from a newbie
« on: February 11, 2010, 09:40:15 PM »
This may seem simplistic, but if I am making a cutting board cheese press, and making hoops from pvc (I have read all the threads pro/con) do I need a bottom for my hoop, or is that what the pie tin drainer is for?

Cheese Head

Re: cheese hoop question from a newbie
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 12:36:03 AM »
That's a good question!

So far I have seen no-one make a bottom, but the board on the bottom needs to have some small holes in it to allow whey drainage out of the bottom of the cheese. For mine I put that piece in a 9" square cake pan but the the whey gets stuck leaving the bottom of the holes plus initially I get lots of whey that I have to drain off. I think a better drainage solution is the hoop on a drilled board on a plastic mat in a cake pan. Would allow better drainage and higher standoff.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 04:38:23 AM »
When using PVC tubes for cheese molds I always made bottoms for one reason - it gets the whey, off of the cheese better. I also used cutting boards for the base and liked to cut shallow groves to allow the whey to run off and away from the cheese.

Alex

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 06:34:00 AM »
I put the tube in glass tray and remove the excess whey with a syringe. Yes, it looks that I am preaty patient ;).

padams

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 04:11:59 PM »
Thank you everyone!  Alex, I am nowhere near that patient!!! >:D  I had forgotten about the draining mats.  Of course!  Oh, and one other quick question? what size holes did you drill?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 04:25:01 PM by padams »

Cheese Head

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 06:04:05 PM »
Here's picture of mine for my 6" diameter PVC hoop. Piece of cut off cutting board, holes are about 3/32" or 2 mm diameter.

Probably I should drill more holes but I haven't used it for a while as I'm now using Kadova Brand Gouda shaped molds.

padams

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 07:28:36 PM »
are you having better luck with the kadova molds vs. pvc cheese hoops?  btw, the picture/post answered my question perfectly...thanks!

Cheese Head

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 08:18:21 PM »
Welcome, not really better luck but more pressional looking cheeses and they are easier to work with as no cloth, but they are expensive. There's a bunch of info on them in the Kadova Mold threads.