Author Topic: Need Feedback On Two Vat Pasteurizers  (Read 9225 times)

meadowood

Need Feedback On Two Vat Pasteurizers
« on: February 12, 2010, 02:33:26 PM »
We have a sheep dairy and are just starting to process our own fresh cheese and yogurt (last year we rented space at a nearby licensed dairy).  We are about to equip our own make room, and are considering our vat-pasteurizer options.  We are looking at two v-p’s:  the van’t Riet Combination Vat, probably the 79 gallon version, and the Dairy Heritage Combo Vat, 1000# version.  Does anyone have any experience with either of these two ?  I’m interested in hearing anyone’s impressions of the DH vat, because it’s rectangular, and we were always told that the round v-p’s are better.  Also, any experience with either company in terms of support/service.  We’ve eliminated the QualTech from consideration because of warnings of poor support.  And we’ve come across the Kleen-Flo, which has a 100-gal v-p, but don’t know anything about the company.  Thanks for any input.

FarmerMike

Re: Need Feedback On Two Vat Pasteurizers
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 10:58:24 PM »
I have looked at the Van't Riet vats, they are very nice, but expensive.  Somewhere on the web I saw a posting for a 79 gal Van't Riet vat for sale in Florida.  Not sure if it was set up as a pasteurizer, but might be worth talking to the seller abt.

As for square vats, not sure is they are allowed for pasteurizers (check with your inspector) but the shape does cause a problem when stirring: dead spots in the corners, were the milk is not moved.  With a rectangular vat, the stirring mechanism is more complicated since you not only have the circular (stirring), but the arm must travel up and down the length of the vat.

I am in the process of starting our own creamery, and I am probably going to get a rectangular vat from Kleen-Flo, but only as a cheese vat, no pasteurizing.  If I can find a round vat for the same price I would choose the round.

Missy Greene

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 03:13:27 PM »
any of you guys know where you can find a small pasteurizer?? I have searched the cheese supply places and they only go up to 2gal. Does anyone make one that does say 5-10 gal????
Thanks, Missy

TroyG

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 11:36:24 PM »
Frank Kipe makes a small unit.  I don't think it is on his website so you can email him for more information.

http://microdairydesigns.com/

Offline steffb503

• Catskill Mts, NY State, USA
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
    • M & S Farm
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 10:10:37 AM »
I have the pasteurizer from Micro Dairy and like it very much. It does not have an intake valve so you can not pipe milk into it.
It will do as little as 2 gallons and as much as 22. The only issue is the digital indicators, NY state will not approve them.

Aliraza179

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 05:39:27 AM »
A bit late but I just saw this post.

I have a cream separator almost identical to this one.  I like it well enough.  The instructions were in Russian and translated "well enough" to figure it out but it did take some tweaking.

To use it best tho, make sure you can bolt it down to a table or decent work surface.  Or you need another person to hold the machine while you get the crank going and pour the milk into it. 

The milk separates best at room temp or right from the critter.

Good luck!

Tracy