Author Topic: Temperature Control  (Read 4461 times)

Frank

Temperature Control
« on: July 29, 2008, 05:29:24 PM »
The thermostat available at the website shown below has a 3 1/2 degree differential.  This means that it allows the temp within the cave (a fridge) get 3 1/2 degrees warmer than the set temp before it will cool it back to the set temperature.  Will this variation have any negative effect on the cheese?

I can't find anything with a smaller differential.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/temp-control.html

Thanks, Frank

Cheese Head

Re: Temperature Control
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 05:34:37 PM »
Frank, good question, I hadn't noticed or meaured what the cycle temp is, but I don't think it should matter as small fluctuation.

It's the same unit that DaggerDoggie (on Honeymoon) and I bought and used with our freezers. Our problem is excessive humidity build up. Most people seem to find humidity control is the biggest problem in affinage, not temp.

Frank

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 05:50:43 PM »
Thanks for the info.  For humidity control I plan on using containers of water and adjusting the lids as needed.  To know what the humidity is I'm looking at the Lufft AB 167 Hygrometer to hang within the cave. 

http://bellclocks.com/lufft-certified-hygrometer-ab167.html

While expensive I think it's worth it.  It measures the RH within + or - 3%.  The lesser expensive ones either do not tell their accuracy or are have a greater than 3% variation. 

There is great information on setting up a cheese cave at

http://www.cheesemaking.com/includes/modules/jWallace/OnLineNews/NewsFiles/Cave/Cave1.html 

and

http://www.cheesemaking.com/includes/modules/jWallace/OnLineNews/NewsFiles/Cave/Cave2.html

Unless it is going to rain, the humidity here in New Mexico is low. 

God bless, Frank

Tea

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 08:44:24 PM »
From what I seen most cheese are matured at temp that range between 10-15C.  If you were to set your temps to around 12c, then with a 3 degree rise, if would still be within the limits of aging a cheese.
I realise that I am talking celcius, but I think you will understand what I am trying to explain.

We were discussing humidity control in another post, and a couple of us were wondering if it wouldn't be easier to either have two cave, one for normal cheeses, and one for high humidity cheeses, or do something similar to what I am trying to achieve in my esky, is have a separate container with a layer of water in the bottom, that I put my high humidity cheeses into.  I think we were wondering if the high humidity required, would in the end, effect the cheeses that didn't require the high humidity.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other, I think in the end.

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 10:25:58 PM »
Ouch, that's one expensive hydrometer, is it +/-3% in middle normal ranges or also at extreme 90% humidity?

Thanks for links, I also found them via google the other day when I was still having problems with my freezer Cheese Cave, couldn't find link to it from their website, probably I'm not looking enough.

I bought a digital one here, Daggerdoggie also bought a digital one but from Wal-Mart for $6-7! At that price you could buy 2-3 and see how they compare. In my experience you also get a feel for the RH, too low and cheeses dry out too fast and crack, too humid and you get mold on outside. On Tea's thoughts, I've also had blue cheese mold jump to outside of my Gruyere, so I can see rational for keeping separate.

As you are in New Mexico USA, I expect your problem will be getting enough humidity, you could try having a cloth in the water hanging over side as a wick.

Tea

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 10:34:48 PM »
John I remember hearing somewhere, that the blue vein strain of mould is so transferable, that cheese manufactures actually have a completely separate room for making and aging this cheese.  It doesn't come into the main cheese making area at all.

Was looking at my caerphilly in the fridge yesterday, and the white mould is still growing, and is actually making it way down the cut surface of the cheese.

reg

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 11:10:08 AM »
morning all. talking about humidity not sure where i read it but i think it was some literature on Alpine style cheeses they said while in the young stages the cave was 85-90 % humidity then after a while (did not specify time) the cheese was moved to another area with 70-75% humidity. wished i would have printed out this info now :-(

reg

Cheese Head

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 11:27:56 AM »
Thanks Tea, sounds true, it is a very active mold on the outside of my blue. Will have to keep farther apart in future.