Author Topic: John's Cheese #057 - Gouda #8 - In Progress  (Read 8073 times)

Cheese Head

Re: John's Cheese #057 - Gouda #8 - In Progress
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2010, 11:46:02 AM »
umgowa, yes you can, Quebec_Poutine posted about one here, if you Search this forum on Crock Pot or Slow Cooker I expect you will get other hits.

In that Board there are a lot of other ideas for Vats as well, including Debi's large chaffing dish, most hobby cheese makers who go large seem to go for a stockpot as slow cooker and chaffing dishes only go so large.

umgowa

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2010, 02:37:31 PM »
Thanks, John.  That's real helpful.  Now I'll experiment with it to see how well I can maintain the specific temperatures in the recipes I'll be working with.  While I've got your ear, John . . let me ask you another question.   I thought the big concern with heat application was that it be distributed evenly . . . and that's why the big emphasis is placed on double boilers, so the water outside can evenly heat the milk/curds in the inner container.  Am I correct here?  And If that's so, how does your new stock pot measure up to that standard?  I would think that any direct heating system would not distribute the heat as well.   Thanks for any clarification you can provide a newbie here.

Cheese Head

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2010, 01:35:17 AM »
Welcome . . . in summary this pot has a triple layer thick bottom and I have a gas stove and stir so heat is diffused, but this topic/thread is really about this cheese. There is a topic/thread here about the stockpot I use as a vat, including some posts on single vs double boilers for cheese vats. Cheers.

igmu

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2011, 07:15:44 AM »

i appreciate the documentation and would like to throw a question onto the pile. I am currently drying and hope to vac bag. I see that you vac bagged on day nine. What were your conditions from drying to day nine? did you put it in the cave?

cheesequeen

I am planning to make these cheese. What size is your gouda kadova mould? Did you buy it at glengarry supplies website? Thanks for the info. Beautiful pictures and cheese  ^-^