Author Topic: Bocconcini  (Read 4654 times)

caciocavallo

Bocconcini
« on: February 13, 2010, 02:25:16 AM »
Hello everyone,

2 things I would lie to ask, 1st does any one know how to make bocconcini? I know it is similar to making mozzarella but I thought I would ask. My friend who showed me how to make the caciocavallo also made some bocconcini from the same curd. What he did after cutting the curd he removed some of it with some whey and set it aside in a warmer area. Then after we made the caciocavallo's he went to get the curd and made the bocconcini. They were amazing!

He also wanted me to ask if anyone would know where he could find a small hand operated machine for making the bocconcini since it is Done n scorching hot water. I have seen some mini machines but are all electrick and must cost thousands on $$. I am guessing that in he past they may of had a small hand operated machine and we could buy one.

Any help you may have would be appreciated.

Cacio

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Bocconcini
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 05:14:33 AM »
I don't know about a machine I make them by hand wearing rubber gloves.

Bocconcini
Like small balls of mozzarella

Ingredients:
4.5  gallons milk
1/2 teaspoon Thermophilic Type C Culture
1/2 teaspoon Double strength rennet

Procedure:
Bring milk to a setting temp of 104°F, add starter and mix in well.   Add rennet and also mix in well.  Allow to set for around 50-60mins.  Ph 6.5 - 6.6

Cut curds into 1 inch cubes and stand for 30 mins before stirring.

Stir very gently over the next 60 mins.  The stirring will determine the softness of the cheese. Over stirring = will produce overly firm cheese.

Drain off the whey.  pH  6.1 - 6.2

Keep curd at 104°F to cause it to fuse together.  Turn the curd every 15 mins to keep is warm, draining the whey at the same time.

After about 1 hour test the curd to see whether it is ready for stretching by placing a piece in 160°F water.  When curd is warm, take out and work with fingures, stretching the cheese.  It is is brittle and breaks, it is not ready. pH  5.0-5.4

When curd is ready, cut into thin strips and place into hot water 160°F.  Work the curd stretching it until all the curd has been worked.  Over working the curd will toughen it, as will over hot water.

Shape the cheese by squeezing between your thumb and forefinger and pinch off ball of cheese formed.

Place in ice cold boiled water to set.  A little salt can be added, but  the salt should not be tasted in the final product.

This cheese can be eaten immediately or stored up to a week in the fridge.  It can also be marinated in a herbed oil bath.

caciocavallo

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 02:06:23 AM »
Thanks Deejay!

Will give this a try the next time I make some cheese. I will let you know how they turn out.

Cacio

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 04:00:11 AM »
Good luck hon!

elise

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 11:28:58 PM »
Hi There,

Recipe above looks pretty good. This Bocconcini web site has step by step instruction and images of how to make bocconcini and ricotta . It's on a much bigger scale than in your home kitchen but the same principles apply.

Cheers,

Elise