Author Topic: Mozzarella Questions  (Read 2635 times)

Reggae

Mozzarella Questions
« on: February 13, 2010, 03:39:26 AM »
Ok, so I’ve finished reading Home Cheese Making by Ricki Carroll and while we were originally planning on working towards mastering 6-9 different cheeses, I think we’ve decided to simply make the first step of making one we love a lot and that is simply mozzarella. Just makes more sense, also from an initial cost standpoint as we don’t really need to purchase much right now. However I have a few questions that I can’t seem to find straight answers on.

I’ve smoked cheese before but never fresh mozzarella. After I pull it from the cold water (or brine???), how long before I should smoke it? Don't know if there is a period I need to wait.

If I’m going to marinade it with say Italian spices, do I just do that right after I pull from the cold water (or brine???) or do I have to let them sit for a period of time?

It looks like 10-14 days in the fridge is about the shelf life. Does this stay true if I vacuum seal them? I would prefer to vacuum seal my cheese. Is this ok? Does it hurt anything? Does it help with shelf life?

What are the big differences between using a brine to cool it vs. cold water?

I apologize for all the questions.

All help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Mozzarella Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 05:02:04 AM »
Ok, so I’ve finished reading Home Cheese Making by Ricki Carroll and while we were originally planning on working towards mastering 6-9 different cheeses, I think we’ve decided to simply make the first step of making one we love a lot and that is simply mozzarella. Just makes more sense, also from an initial cost standpoint as we don’t really need to purchase much right now. However I have a few questions that I can’t seem to find straight answers on.

Mozzarella seem to be a difficult cheese for some people. It was my first cheese and I never had a problem with it but some do.

I’ve smoked cheese before but never fresh mozzarella. After I pull it from the cold water (or brine???), how long before I should smoke it? Don't know if there is a period I need to wait.

After making it leave it in the fridge at least over night to solidify before smoking then smoke as normal very cold smoke.

If I’m going to marinade it with say Italian spices, do I just do that right after I pull from the cold water (or brine???) or do I have to let them sit for a period of time?

If you are going to marinate it in oil or brine add your spices to the oil or brine. I think you will be more pleased to add your spiced to the cheese itself though during the stretching and kneading phase though. Especially basil!

It looks like 10-14 days in the fridge is about the shelf life. Does this stay true if I vacuum seal them? I would prefer to vacuum seal my cheese. Is this ok? Does it hurt anything? Does it help with shelf life?

Vaccuum sealing will add a few days as will smoking. Mozzarella freezes pretty well.

What are the big differences between using a brine to cool it vs. cold water?

Mostly the pH level. The water will stop the acid developement. The brine will also act as a pickle it if you will where the water will draw salt from it which not only adds flavor but acts as a preservative.

I apologize for all the questions.

All help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

justsocat

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 04:23:45 PM »
Debi,
how long did you store the frozen mozz? Was it tasty after freezer?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 04:29:44 PM by Pavel »

Reggae

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 04:36:52 PM »
Thanks a ton. Debbi...seems like you have your hands full with canning, bread making, smoking, and plenty of other stuff. The part of the cheese that messes me up is it will say something like a staturated brine solution but with no mention of any kind of solution ingredients???

Obviously, you're big on smoking as well so if you're interested, there's some great people on thesmokering.com I'm no way affiliated but just been a member for a long time and love to share it.

Found a local cheesemaker here in St. Louis and I'm picking up Rennet and Starters tomm.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 08:48:02 PM »
Pavel -

Nothing is as good as fresh but it can be frozen with good results and keeps for several months if the air is removed. Vacuum pacing is best for long term storage.

Reggea -
Yes I do keep rather busy after work. I love smoking! Anything! I Joined the smokering about 5 years ago but just haven't had time to pop in for a very long time between my other hobbies, coming here and keeping my forum and multiple websites going. I also try to spend time on the scooterdiva.com forum and help the ladies do basic maintainence and trubleshoot problems on their scooters. I really need to update that eBook soon too.  Why do we have to sleep? Takes way too much time... :o

Best answer for the salt brine quetion is to ask here.  Different cheeses require stronger or weaker brine solutions and chances are someone here has made what you have in mind. In general:

"Light Brine (8-10° Baumè)(1.057-1.074 Specific Gravity)
400 grams (14 oz) of salt for 4 liters (1 gallon) of water.
This strength is used for Feta when it is kept in brine solution until eaten."

"Medium Brine (12-15° Baumè)(1.088-1.110 Specific Gravity)
600 grams (20 oz) of salt for 4 liters (1 gallon) of water.
Use for Feta when saltier cheeses are desired and briefly for Mozzarella"

"Heavy Brine (20-23° Baumè)(1.148-1.169 Specific Gravity) 900 grams (32 oz) of salt for 4 liters (1 gallon) of water.
This solution is almost a saturation of salt to water, therefore the water must be boiled with the salt to dissolve it completely. Mainly used for hard cheeses, semi-hard cheeses and washed rind cheeses. The rule is to leave the cheese in the bath for 12 hours for every 2 lbs. of cheese."

Paul Kindstedt Brine ( he wroter farsteadt cheese with Peter Dixon)
For every 10 pounds of brine at pH 5.2 mix together:
3 pounds salt
8 pounds water
1 tablespoon calcium chloride
1 teaspoon white vinegar 5%

I also highlt recommend in most cases to use your final whey as your brine water. Keeps the pH levels even.