Author Topic: Aging my Cabre Al Vino  (Read 5247 times)

Cheesetart

Aging my Cabre Al Vino
« on: February 13, 2010, 08:51:44 PM »
I've been aging my cabre al vino for a month now -- and I have started dealing with some mold that keeps reappearing.   I've wiped the cheese with a brine solution -- and I am wondering if it would be a good idea to soak it in some wine again?   It still feels that it is the right firmness -- but as I wipe, more of the wine color starts to come away from the cheese.  Thoughts?  And-- if I do soak it, would I let it air dry a bit before returning it to the aging fridge?   
I think my humidity was a bit high early on -- seems to have leveled out now and I am hoping to have this cheese aging for another two months............if I can wait that long!!
Thanks for any suggestions!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Aging my Cabre Al Vino
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 11:54:52 PM »
Add some vinegar to your brine bath wash. Once the mold develops you will have a harder time keeping it down unless you get it all. Scrub it well.

Cheesetart

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 12:34:39 AM »
I'll try that.  Is it necessary to resoak it?  Thanks!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 12:39:12 AM »
If you mea in wine no. I wouldn't soak the cheese to wash it but if you have a lot of mold a heavily wet cloth or brish will help.

Cheesetart

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 12:48:40 AM »
Thanks. One last silly question -- white or cider vinegar?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 01:11:50 AM »
Oh DUH! Sorry white vinegar! It's the little details I forget to mention that get us in trouble.

Cheesetart

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 01:30:13 AM »
Tell me about it! :)
Thanks for all of the advice.  It is appreciated!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 04:19:23 AM »
Your most welcome!

Cheesetart

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 01:02:11 AM »
Well,it's back.  I thought I really got it this time -- but lo and behold there is more mold.  So I am again wiping the cheese.  I'm going to let it sit out over night before putting it back in the cave --last time I only let it sit 30 minutes --perhaps it was still too damp.
Would it be beneficial to vacuum seal in a bag at this point?  Is it possible that will help? Too early after only a month?   
Any feedback is appreciated.  This one is challenging.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 03:47:14 AM »
A month should be fine. I usually wait about a month but make sure it is ry first from the washing. How often do you wash your cheeses? I find a damp cloth every other day for the first week or so then every third day and so on. Once it makes a nice rind tou shouldn't have a problem with  mold unless the humidity it to high.

I also find a light buffing with a cloth dippedolive oil after a few weeks helps for many of the hard cheeses. Not wet just like polishing your shoes. I touch in the oil then polish.

Missy Greene

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 02:23:07 AM »
Nice to find this thread on cabra al vino... I have one I stared  on jan 26 and it too has the mold issue. I have washed it with salt brine and the mold is still there so will try some vinegar.
 i also  had trouble getting a smooth surface on the cheese, the second two i stared on Feb 13
are smoother....  will keep up on this imfo. thanks for all of the advice. Oh, why would you  vacuum seal it? I have not seen this in any recipes........
 Missy

Alex

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 09:34:55 AM »
According to my experience, the best way to remove unwanted mold spots is, making a mixture of kosher salt and vinegar and rub with a cloth like you are smoothing something with very coarse sand paper. I never had to do this twice on the same cheese. May be it's luck too.
Cabre al Vino should age with natural rind.

Missy Greene

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 07:01:35 PM »
Today I approached my Cabra al vino  with vinegar in hand... the first one that I had washed with salt brine day before yesterday, was more moldy than before.... the two new ones that I started on the 14th were also showing signs of mold..scrubbed them with just vinegar, will try salt and vinegar tomorrow.  Thanks for the suggeation. Missy

Cheesetart

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 02:11:46 AM »
I have cleaned mine now twice.   The last time, I really hit it with the brush and then I made it a point to let it dry completely before returning to the cave.  It has been mold free ever since - and --fingers crossed -- seems to have stabilized. Not to mention that I have reduced the humidty in the cave-- so that seems to have helped as well.  Good luck with yours-- keep us posted on the progress!

Alex

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 07:33:46 AM »
Well done, Dee, it looks that you did it right.