Author Topic: Clotted Cream/Devonshire cream  (Read 3706 times)

MrsKK

Clotted Cream/Devonshire cream
« on: February 14, 2010, 02:31:57 AM »
Does anyone have a method for making clotted cream or Devonshire cream?  I think I have stumbled on a similar "product" when skimming the skin off the top of my milk that I am heating for yogurt - I usually end up with about a half cup of very rich, tasty and thick cream after I beat it to re-incorporate the skin back into the thick cream that comes up with it.  It tastes wonderful with my peach freezer jam.

However, I'd like to make more and in an "official" version, if anybody would care to share their recipe.

TIA!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Clotted Cream/Devonshire cream
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 05:56:29 AM »
There's one here

MrsKK

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 02:33:37 AM »
Sorry, Deb, there are a couple of people talking about their cow's cream being like clotted cream, but no actual recipes/methods.  I'll just keep searching.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 03:49:04 AM »
Ah sorry. I used to have one but I think it was lost in the crash ...

Bella

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 09:30:13 PM »
Hi Karen
Here is a recipe I used twice - for an English friend who asked me to make some for her. I put it together after reading a book another friend gave me on the subject of clotted cream and its history.
CLOTTED CREAM

Need at least 1 pint (575 ml) or more of milk.

1.   Pour the milk into a wide stainless steel, pyrex or enamel basin and leave to stand overnight.
2.   Cook gently in a bain marie, heating to just below boiling point, but for about 1.5-2 hours or until a thick crust forms on the surface of the milk.
3.   Leave the container to stand in a cool place overnight
4.   Skim the cream off the next morning.

I didn't use the bain marie method - simply heated the milk in a stainless steel pot, and it seemed to work out fine. Sadly, I still haven't tasted it, as the two batches I made went to my friend who said it was too good to share!!

Enjoy
B

MrsKK

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 03:00:31 PM »
Thank you, Bella!  Now my next question - do you skim off and discard the crust off the top?

You'll really want to try some of this for yourself, if the cream that I skim off the top of my yogurt milk is anything close to the real deal.

Bella

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 06:07:46 AM »
Hi Karen
No, it would appear that the crust is the sought-after bit. I scooped up anything that looked like it could be yummy and gave that two the two people who asked for it. As a point of your interest, it left all that wonderful milk left over, and while it had been heated and therefore pasteurised plus skimmed of the cream, I added some yoghurt culture and it made a pretty good fist of it too! It seemed such a shame to waste it all. Because I started out with quite a lot of milk (I can't remember how much, but it was probably 8-10 litres), I then had yoghurt coming out my ears. However, the people I gave it too all reckoned it was pretty good.
B

MrsKK

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 04:02:10 AM »
I wouldn't have any problem with making yogurt from the "leftover" milk.  Next time I need to make yogurt, I'll start out by making clotted cream.

Thanks for the suggestion!