Author Topic: Made 35 pounds of Sausage today 1 experimental chicken sausage  (Read 1776 times)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Made 35 pounds of Sausage today 1 experimental chicken sausage
« on: February 15, 2010, 07:24:33 AM »
I love to make sausage and they had some pretty good sales this week and I had a three day weekend!

I started yesterday by making a 7 gallon  batch of plain asiago. Then today trimmed and brined two whole pork loins to make yet another capricolla. My normal style. I think I posted it here somewhere.

Next I deboned 10 pounds of chicken thighs for a parmensan chicken sausage I've been thinking about for awhile. While deboning I threw the chicken in a plain salt water brine to soak for awhile then I ground up the meat and skins together for added fat. It looked pretty good. I added 2 tablespoons of garlic powder, onion powder, ruby red paprika, basil, oregano, 1 tablespoon of coriander, black pepper, and salt, ground in a few turns of chipotle peppers, 4 tablespoons of milk powder and grated parmesan cheese. I chopped two red bell peppers and added those for sweetness. It smells amazing! Can't wait to try it!

After that I made 25 pounds of Hot Italian pork sausage

Tomorrow I will probably make another 7 gallon batch of asiago with basil then make some fermented salami and beef jerky weather permitting. It's supposed to snow again so I may not be able to smoke it.

The first picture is the asiago, next the Chicken parmensan sausage then the Hot Italian pork sausage.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 07:30:00 AM by DeejayDebi »

Pineywoods

Re: Made 35 pounds of Sausage today 1 experimental chicken sausage
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 04:26:30 PM »

Looks like it was a fun day around your place and gonna be some good eating

FarmerJd

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 02:40:15 AM »
hey Debi I feel your joy/pain :-\ . Just came in from stuffing 100lbs of pork sausage. Hanging it in the smokehouse tonite. Salted down 8 hams and grilled 4 huge slabs of ribs for the whole family. Very tired but satisfied. Your sausage look great.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 03:20:33 AM »
I don't have the room for 100 pounds at a time or the equipment, but it'd be fun trying! I used to have a helper but she had a stroke last April and is still trying to walk and use one arm. I need t mount my vertical stuffer to a board so I can use it one handed. I hate stuffing through the grinder - the texture is to small and it take 4 times longer.