Author Topic: Some new Reblochons  (Read 10369 times)

SueVT

Some new Reblochons
« on: February 16, 2010, 05:12:04 AM »
Opened up the first cheese from my new batch of Reblochons.... it was good..
And I was worried that it wasn't ripe yet.
 :)

Majoofi

Re: Some new Reblochons
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 05:41:05 AM »
That looks yummy. I was just thinking about making something along those lines tomorrow.

Alex

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 12:33:05 PM »
That's the stuff I like mostly. No doubt, one of the next cheeses on schedule.

SueVT, yours looks awesome.

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 01:38:04 PM »
That is beautiful! How old is it?
Pam

SueVT

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 03:09:43 PM »
Thanks!  I have a couple of other photos on my blog.

I made these on 1/2.  So they were ripened for 44 days, if my math is right.
Salt was perfect, flavor great.  They are perhaps a trifle more soft than I would like, and I think this is because I keep making them a bit thicker than I need to.

I'll fill the moulds a bit less next time, should get another cheese out of it.  :)

The only issue is that I have some blue turning up on them if I don't wash every couple of days, which is annoying....
I am also wondering if addition of candidum is necessary, or whether linens alone will ripen them... if you look at the bloom on the French ones, there is a dusting of white... they have been allowed to dry more at the beginning I believe.

regards,

Bella

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 02:10:47 AM »
Hi Sue
Congrats on a great looking cheese!
Regarding your question about candidum - I put Geotrichum in mine, not candidum, and that seems to give a coating in the early days before the linens kicks in (I don't use linens, but it seems to come spontaneously to my cheeses - at least those that need it - I have no idea why, but I don't question it as the amount I get is just right for my tastes.
B

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 02:16:11 AM »
Great looking cheese Sue - Congrats. I have not been able to find this cheese anywhere is it supposed to be creamy like a camembert? I have been staring at this recipe in my data base but I have no reference to what is should taste like.

SueVT

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 02:34:55 AM »
It usually is a bit firmer than this one (and a bit  younger).  This one is very good though.
It is a moist rind, semi-soft or semi-firm cheese.  To give you an idea, for the first few days, the washing process actually smooths the rind somewhat (per my seminar with Jim Wallace)..

It is a slightly "stinky" cheese, becomes more so as it ages past prime.  I think it tastes something like camembert, but more mellow.  And the great thing is being able to cook with it, because it melts so well.

It's not for everybody, but I like it.  It's easy to make and quick turnaround.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 02:50:35 AM »
What about size? Are they supposd to be small like camemberts or can I make a full 4 - 5 pounder?  do have 6 450 gram kadova I can use if they are small but I'd rather just have to wash two at a time if posible. I usually do 7 gallon batches.

Alex

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 11:16:37 AM »
What about size? Are they supposd to be small like camemberts or can I make a full 4 - 5 pounder?  do have 6 450 gram kadova I can use if they are small but I'd rather just have to wash two at a time if posible. I usually do 7 gallon batches.

A Reblochon is about 14-15 cm in dia and some 3 cm high. The weight of the finished wheel is 450 grams.

Alex

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 11:28:06 AM »
Thanks!  I have a couple of other photos on my blog.

I made these on 1/2.  So they were ripened for 44 days, if my math is right.
Salt was perfect, flavor great.  They are perhaps a trifle more soft than I would like, and I think this is because I keep making them a bit thicker than I need to.

I'll fill the moulds a bit less next time, should get another cheese out of it.  :)

The only issue is that I have some blue turning up on them if I don't wash every couple of days, which is annoying....
I am also wondering if addition of candidum is necessary, or whether linens alone will ripen them... if you look at the bloom on the French ones, there is a dusting of white... they have been allowed to dry more at the beginning I believe.

regards,

The recipe calls for Geo and a very-very small amount of Candidum just for the late stage of ripening, to get the "white dusting" similar to a Limburger. Washing with light brine for the first 14 days of ripening will develope the B-linens. Then, keeping the cheese in the same environmental conditions for the rest of the ripening will lead to the "whitish" rind.

SueVT

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 07:10:51 PM »
Yes.  Actually....I misspoke about the candidum/geo...I should say White mold or consult my recipe
When writing these posts.  I am getting the late white but also a bit of blue... I want to avoid the
Blue.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 04:07:34 AM »
Thanks Sue!

Majoofi

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 06:49:17 AM »
Do you think you could share your Reblochon recipe?

SueVT

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 07:48:31 PM »
Sure...will do on Monday.    Tied up this weekend.....
Cheers