Author Topic: Lamb Sausage  (Read 1672 times)

teegr

Lamb Sausage
« on: February 17, 2010, 04:15:35 AM »
Hi, I thought I'd share this old recipe.  We used to raise a few lambs to put up when the kids were younger.  As a result I tended to put up some "convenient" food fast and easy to prepare. I cut this down to just 10 lbs for ya'll. 

Mama TJ’s Lamb Sausage

I’ve used this with lamb as well as mutton.

10 lbs ground fresh butchered lamb—can use 50% pork  ( I don’t know about using store bought as far as fat %…I’m guessing my lamb had about 30% fat from butcher)  *hint frozen ground meat doesn’t work as well as just doing this from fresh butcher meat

20 cloves crushed garlic

5 tsp freshest ground cinnamon

5 tsp freshest ground allspice  (some prefer less of this)

5 tsp red pepper flakes (or less)

Grated peel of 5 oranges  (wash well to remove wax, or anything else)

1 –3 Tsp of COARSE CRACKED Black Peppercorns ( put in baggie…use heavy pot to crush them against counter)  Don’t pack spoon.  Suggest starting with low amount if planning to feed kids.

About 2 ½ cups red wine  (I like merlot but white zinfandel works well )

Put all into a large bowl and mix well with hands.  (cold hands and cold meat helps) 

Don’t use a paddle mixer…makes for a tough sausage.

Refrigerate tightly covered for at least 2 days to marry the flavor (or up to 5 days if your hand shaping). 

Stuff into casing if you wish…then package for freezing…or hand shape into 12 in sausages for freezing or cook as below.  I like to put each log not touching onto large sheet pan then partially freeze then wrap with freezer wrap for long storage.

To serve, if hand shaped…cut into 1 in patties and pan fry medium or broil at low.  (remember lamb fat burns at lower temp…so cook them accordingly)  I prefer medium doneness.   IF pressed for time I have been known to stick whole log(s) into pan frozen and baked as a meat loaf when doing the soccer mom shuffle.

If in casings…use a braising method…lightly sear…add a little water or wine and cover till liquid almost evaporates, place on plate and deglaze pan if you wish and pour any drippings on top.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Lamb Sausage
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 04:32:54 AM »
Sounds great! I don't get lamb very often it's very pricey up here. I try to stick the the meats i the $2.50 to $4/lb range if posible and lamb is always $7 to $8/lb range here. I will keep my eye open though thank you!

teegr

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 07:01:12 AM »
Try the cinnamon and orange and other spices in a lamb pattie or two if you want to try out a small amount to see if you like those flavors.  I was reluctant to at first try it as written...but it was much better adding all the orange and cinnamon. 
A juicey sausage on a bun with mayo, cucumber wedges, and alfalfa sprouts is tasty!

It will be a few years before I can start raising a momma lamb and get some piggies...Hopefully I'll have the mobility to keep them all out of the  brambles! 

Store bought Lamb doesn't sell well up here for some reason...so I can frequently get a good deal  on Mon early morning, for any roasts, chops or organic grass feed lamb marked down 50% cause what doesn't sell Fri-Sun they try to get rid of on Mon cause it just won't sell.  SO I was able to get some fresh(not froze) ground enough to make 4 lbs of sausage...so that was a treat.  Still it cost $3.00lb at mark-off.

I think it cost me 35c lb the last time I had a couple of lambs to butcher including the packaging for we didn't have any feed cost.   

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 11:08:19 PM »
I use a lot of citris for seasoning so that part is not a problem. Getting the lamb is though!  ;D