Author Topic: Here is my cave. Humidity is not a problem.  (Read 3942 times)

mbuonocore

Here is my cave. Humidity is not a problem.
« on: February 19, 2010, 07:13:13 PM »
If you look in the lower left of the fridge, I have a small humidifier that I bought at my local pharmacy (Walgreens).  It works great at maintaining any humidity I want.  It hold up to a 20oz bottle of water that I need to refill every three days.  It has a knob on it so it took me a week of monitoring before I found the right setting.
The fridge is in my basement and not turned on.  I took off the door and made a screen to put over the opening.  I got some scrap moulding at home depot and made a frame.  Then I bought a roll of window screen material and stapled it to the wood frame. 
To keep the humidity from escaping I use a piece of thin rigid insulation also from home depot (the pink sheet stuff).  So I put the screen against the fridge first to keep the mice out then put the rigid insulation over the screen.  The insulation is cut about 6" shorter in height than the fridge opening.  This helps to keep air movement and the humidity does not build up inside if the door was on.
I hope this help you guys.  It took some time to figure it all out.  Check out the photos of my cheeses.

Minamyna

Re: Here is my cave. Humidity is not a problem.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 04:43:17 AM »
How much was that humidifier? It looks PERFECT!!!

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 02:11:48 PM »
Do you have issues with the blues infecting everything else?

ColdCoffee

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 08:20:32 PM »
God, those rinds are beautiful

mbuonocore

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 06:20:41 PM »
The humidifier was $20 at my local CVS or Riteaid pharmacy.  Yes, the blue cheese infects everything but I wipe the infected cheese every couple of days with salt water or water and vinegar. 

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 11:49:50 AM »
Aged thread, but looks like this is the model for the humidifier, or close to it, yes?

I once used an ultrasonic humidifier, but abandoned it as it as a royal PITA with fine, white dust being kicked out with impunity - admittedly, didn't want the regular cost of using distilled water.  Just curious if this is ever an issue.  Otherwise, a wonderful work around!

- Paul

Cheese Head

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 12:26:31 PM »
Old thread, but thanks for posting, I'm still having excess humidity and water puddling in my small fridge cave but here in Houston even in winter I need to run it to keep at 54F.

Why did you take the door off and if possible can you post a picture of your replacement makeshift door you described, here the problem is roaches, not mice. I do like the idea of some air circulation, all that I've read says that is good.

I've also looked at those small humidifiers in WalMart here, good to hear they kick out enough humidity.

Also, great looking cheeses, congrats! What are you using for a marker?

MrsKK

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 01:32:42 PM »
Also, I'm curious as to how you are regulating the temperature in the cave?

Thanks for sharing, this is great!

zenith1

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 03:20:38 PM »
very nice!

mbuonocore

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 07:15:48 PM »
It's always 50-60F in my basement in CT.  I removed the refrig door and made a simple screened door.  I bought a roll of screening material similar to your screened windows or doors and stapled it to a 1X1 wood frame.  I glued magnets to the wood which keeps it in place and very easy to remove.  I don't get any white dust or other particles as mentioned by someone else in the previous posts.  I also got a cheap plastic drop cloth from home depot and cut them into 4" wide strips and hung them from the top.  Similar to those plastic doors you would walk through at Costco to go into the vegetable walk-in cooler.  I lift them or drop them down at needed to control the humidity/temp.  Good luck.  The humidifier from my drug store works perfectly.  I change the water every two or three days.