Author Topic: Basic Maltese Cheese  (Read 26657 times)

Tea

Basic Maltese Cheese
« on: August 03, 2008, 03:39:40 AM »
This is a dead easy cheese.  The only thing that is subjective is the salting out, which only comes from tasting the cheese as you go.  Eventually you know by the look and feel of the cheese, when it is salted enough.

5lt whole milk
rennet as per directions.  For me .5ml per 2lt
Salt

Bring milk to around 32c.  This temp is not critical, just as long as the milk is not too hot to ruin the rennet.
Allow to set firm @ 45min to 1hr.
Cut into 1cm cubes, and turn over.

Line a colander and scoop curd onto cheesecloth.  Sprinkle a hand full of salt over the curd and turn over the curd.  The salt is used to "salt out" the whey.  The set of the cheese from here on in, depends of how much you salt it.  Too little, and the curd is too soft and falls apart.  Too much and the cheese will be too salty.  The end result, is a cheese where you can definately taste the salt, but not so that that is all you can taste.
Next scoop the curd into the baskets.  Again sprinkle with 1/2 to 1 tsp of salt and using two fingers, work the salt into the cheese, making sure to turn over all the cheese. As the curd starts to dry, it becomes more "cottage cheese" like in consistancy.
As the whey drains, add more curd into the baskets, salting as above, and tasting with each addition.  When you are satisfied with the taste, don't add anymore salt, just ensure that the curds have been evenly turned over.

5ltr usually makes around 5 of the maltese baskets.  I had a couple of broken ones so transfered them into some ricotta baskets.  I should have used only one.

The process of getting the cheese into the baskets can take upto 1/2 hour, adding more cheese and the whey drains and allows more room, salting with each addition if needed.

When the cheese is finally set enough, turn over.  Repeat this every 15min to 1/2 hour until the cheese is almost whey free.

This cheese can then be used either as a soft spread, in pastizzi's, ravioli, or dried.  Herbs, cracked black peppers can also be added as prefered.  This cheese can also be made in bulk, and stored in ziplock bags in the freezer until needed.

Traditionally they are dried on trays hung out in the open when the weather is cool and dry and windy.  They can then be grated like a parmesan.

These photo show the curd, in the colander, and the baskets that are traditionally used.

Tea

Re: Basic Maltese Cheese
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 03:44:17 AM »

These photo's show the process that the cheese goes through.

Tea

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 03:45:43 AM »
The final product, after draining for around 2 hours.

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 01:14:04 PM »
Thanks for recipe and pictures Tea. Looks like fun simple cheese that are almost camembert looking. Sounds and looks like result is a crumbly soft light cheese that can be used in many things including your Pastizzi's Recipe you nicely posted here.

Tea

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 09:33:59 PM »
Yes it is.  It is also a great way to quickly use up excess milk as the cheese can then be froze for further use, and requires no further handling.  I always have some of this in the freezer ready for use.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 09:47:32 PM »
Missed this one too Tea - Sorry. Looks like something I need to try. Thanks!

clherestian

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 11:19:42 AM »
Is this cheese eaten by itself or is it mainly cooked with?

Tom Turophile

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 03:42:43 PM »
No pressing needed?

Tea

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 02:22:51 AM »
This cheese can be eaten on it's own, spread on some bread or biscuits, or made into pastizzies or ravioli.
It can also substitute for a ricotta cheese when cooking.

LoisLane

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 12:50:34 AM »
I have been looking for this recipe for years and found it here. I am not sure my milk set proper. I am using Junket Rennet... but it seems too liquidy. It is working, but hardly going to get enough Gbejniet (I am from Malta but living in Canada, so I love this stuff). Any thoughts on why it didn't set proper? How much rennet should I use? Where can I get these baskets or is there another way to do it?

Cheese Head

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 01:02:15 AM »
Lois, welcome to the forum!

Some more info on this cheese here, batch that I made here.

On your curd set, I suggest more rennet in the next batch and review some of these issues. Also, if you search the forum for Junket Rennet you will get several hits including many people who have had trouble with them and what they have done to overcome.

Our listing of supply stores is here. in Canada, Glengarry has some 50 gr molds.

Have fun!

Tea

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 04:08:43 AM »
Hi Lois, I originally made this cheese using junket tablets.  I used to use just a little more than was recommended for the amount of milk I was using, and usually got a firm set.

If your water that you disolved them in was too hot, it can render the tablet useless.  Just a thought.  Other than that it could well be the quality of the milk.  HTH