Author Topic: Wayne's Cheese: Cheddar022110  (Read 5013 times)

wharris

Re: Wayne's Cheese: Cheddar022110
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2010, 12:50:40 AM »
Truthfully,
When I started making cheese, I did not even own a pH meter.  I, along with other new cheesemakers here in this forum, have discovered how important that pH meters are to cheesemaking.

Then others like Linuxboy, Francois, and others, who seem to be pro or semi-pro basically confirmed and schooled us all.

My experience has been that most recipes that one gets from a commercial book (Rikki's), or ones used at the onset of making cheese, are almost completely devoid of the pH discussion, let alone the right markers you want to hit.

I believe that this is for many reasons.  Primarily it is because most people do not seem to care, have the time, or the inclination. But my 'spidey' senses also tell me that these, (And other markers) start to get left out because they border on trade secrets of the recipes of the commercial ventures.

Probably more of the former than latter.

Your original question was where did I get my pH markers for a stirred curd cheddar. 

The most direct answer is right here in the John's Cheeseforum.org discussions.. Scattered about and debated in different locations.

Debbie might be compiling a book of recipes that include pH markers, but I will let her speak to that.  I know she is putting a ton of work into that.

There are other books out there that speak to some of these general science of the (pH) markers and discusses the biochemistry that is going on under the covers.  Those books are listed, or uploaded in the library.  I have access to several Dairy Chemistry books that I constantly read when need to find a way to sleep. :)

The point is, you should experiment, listen, read, discuss, and ultimately own your own target pH values depending on the product you are trying to craft.

In my view, that is point.  That is the art.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2010, 04:19:41 AM »
Yes I am ... waiting for some input on the markers though.

Gustav

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2011, 05:51:45 PM »
OK then. I finally got a ph meter.
So...   What are the CORRECT/IDEAL ph targets when making cheddar?
I want to make a big batch tomottow.

linuxboy

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2011, 05:55:56 PM »
which cheddar? :). Commercially, the ranges are... rennet at 6.5-6.55, drain at 6.0-6.2 (very important, based on style). Begin mill at 5.5, end mill at 5.35-5.4. Salt at 5.4, terminal (1 day) at 4.9-5.0

There's a good cheddar pH thread here that's worth a read, search for it.