Author Topic: My first cheese  (Read 2582 times)

Jeroen

My first cheese
« on: February 21, 2010, 09:30:57 PM »
Couldn't resist showing it, together with my own brewed beer...

dhenninger

Re: My first cheese
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 09:53:17 PM »
Both look pretty good!

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 10:09:21 PM »
Well that is a colourful little guy, cheese I mean ;).

What is it and did it go well?

Jeroen

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 10:26:14 PM »
It's a small cheese, made of natural milk (from the supermarket), with rennet from bacteria, and because I forget to buy buttermilk I used some citric acid (powder). After 45 minutes I cut the curd and put it in my selfmade press (in dutch) for about three hours. I had a lot of curd so I made some other cheese too and a smaller one similar to the one in the picture. Then I had it in a salted bath (saw the english term anywhere,can't find it now)for 4 hours. After two days I added coating and now after three weeks I had this cheese. I tasted the small one and it tastes salty, but a bit dry. Hope the one on the picture is less dry (because it's twice the size of the small one). Going to try next week.

Alex

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 09:53:07 AM »
Nice made press Jeroen, just about the hight, it's unproportional and it may cause the press to be unstable and roll over.

Jeroen

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 10:56:06 AM »
I now had two cheeses in it and it stood stable. So maybe if the staple get very high - five or six cheeses  ;) - it can be a problem, I will see.

Tom Turophile

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 04:00:25 PM »
It's a small cheese, made of natural milk (from the supermarket), with rennet from bacteria, and because I forget to buy buttermilk I used some citric acid (powder). After 45 minutes I cut the curd and put it in my selfmade press (in dutch) for about three hours. I had a lot of curd so I made some other cheese too and a smaller one similar to the one in the picture. Then I had it in a salted bath (saw the english term anywhere,can't find it now)for 4 hours. After two days I added coating and now after three weeks I had this cheese. I tasted the small one and it tastes salty, but a bit dry. Hope the one on the picture is less dry (because it's twice the size of the small one). Going to try next week.

So you just kind of winged it as you went?  Surely you have done it before, or have seen others?  I'm so afraid to experiment that it took me 9 months to get my first cheese going.  And here I am, now, trying to figure out what 3rd cheese I will make.

padams

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 08:16:40 PM »
I'd love to hear how it tastes!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 07:57:23 PM »
Nice little cheese and the beer looks good to - nice head!

Jeroen

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 10:50:39 PM »
I tasted the cheese, it was Cheezy, but a bit salt, and dry. Maybe next time I put the cheese in the salty bath a bit shorter, it'll be less salty, but why is my cheese so dry?

My other cheese was a lot better.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 02:21:15 AM »
Hard to be sure without a lot more details but more often then not a dry cheese is from over cooking, to small curds or to dry air when aging.