Author Topic: Blueberry Stilton  (Read 8839 times)

Sailor Con Queso

Re: Blueberry Stilton
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2010, 11:21:01 PM »
A White Stilton uses exactly the same recipe as a regular Stilton except the White does not have blue mold (or any other mold). Stilton (and White Stilton) recipes call for little or no pressing. That makes sense with a blue to create an open texture that provides oxygen to the interior of the cheese. However, if you look at a commercial White Stilton, they generally have a much tighter texture. So, if I were making a White I would give it a light to moderate pressing to discourage natural mold growth.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2010, 03:44:11 AM »
So I could use any stilon recipe and just omit the mold and it would be white Stilton? Hmm I may try this. Did made a few gorgonzolas but even with gloves I can't keep from getttin a rash so I gave that up years ago. This may be an option.

deb415611

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2010, 12:55:46 PM »
Debi -   I saw a white stilton recipe recently.  I think it may have been in 200 Easy Homemade Cheese Recipes by Debra Amrein-Boyes.  I can't get to the book right now but I'll try to remember to check later.

Sailor - that cheese is awesome looking.  I need to find more time for cheese, this one is definately going on the list to try.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2010, 03:06:34 AM »
Ah thanks Deb I have that book somehwere. I think I skipped over that recipe thinking it would have blue mold and get me sick. I will review it now that it may be a safe bet.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2010, 03:43:21 AM »
As promised, here's the Ginger Stilton made on 11/1/2009. Had it with smoked salmon tonight. Just 1 word to describe this cheese ... WOW.

My wife Nancy says to tell everyone that this cheese is amazing. She has already asked me to make several more so they can start aging. THAT'S when I know I've got a good cheese. ;)

Brie

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2010, 04:52:04 AM »
Looks amazing, Sailor--please provide stats--did you use crystalized or fresh ginger? I adore stiltons--the different molds that accumulate throughout the process amaze me.

FarmerJd

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2010, 04:58:08 AM »
Impressive.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2010, 02:04:45 AM »
Very pretty Sailor. Did you grate the ginger?

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2010, 03:54:55 AM »
For a 4 gallon make I added 2 tablespoons of crystallized (candied) ginger after milling and salting. I will increase that to 3 tablespoons next time. (I really like ginger). I am also thinking about trying pickled ginger (ala sushi).

Tim Smith has a different procedure in his book "Making Artisan Cheese". He suggests steaming the ginger for 15 minutes in a vegetable steamer. He adds the ginger water to the milk BEFORE adding starter cultures. The actual ginger is added at the same time I did, after milling and salting.

He uses a similar procedure for dehydrated blueberries. That means the blueberries are actually rehydrated before adding to the cheese curds.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 04:02:32 AM by Sailor Con Queso »

The_blue

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2010, 07:18:12 AM »
John, I could be wrong, but that looks like a reprocessed cheese

I do a bit of work with Clawsons and I'm fairly sure the fruit is added at milling.

A works audit around there is what started me making cheese, I'm still using a 'sample' from there as a blue mould starter. :)

Also to answer a question from a totally different thread about freezing, these guys freeze lots of portioned cheese for the run up to Christmas. If the packs are sealed and over wrapped correctly freezing has no effect on the final outcome. My starter 'sample' is in the freezer crumbled up.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 11:55:29 AM by The_blue »