Author Topic: Any benchmarks for milk yield per cow / goat / sheep ?  (Read 9393 times)

sean

Any benchmarks for milk yield per cow / goat / sheep ?
« on: February 22, 2010, 12:12:02 PM »
Hi,

I was just wondering while trying to work out my milk supply, is there any benchmark / average numbers for milk yield per cow / goat / sheep per day ? I do believe it could be different in different regions of the world and also depend on the breed and quality of the livestock so its a very very variable thing.

I am going to be collecting milk from milk centers in our region from commercial herders, so definitely not my own cows/goats/sheeps.

But is there any minimum or average quantity I could work with to work out how many cows / goats / sheeps would give me how much milk per day ?

Regards,

Sean.

linuxboy

Re: Any benchmarks for milk yield per cow / goat / sheep ?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 06:31:35 PM »
This really is pretty difficult without having some inclination of a few of the variables. For example, some of my miniature goats can produce more than a full-size equivalent if the full size comes from average dairy lines. A star dairy goat, on the other hand, can milk through in a 300-320-day cycle 3000+ lbs with high protein and butterfat in the mid fours.

Also another question is what you mean by milk yield. Do you mean pounds of butterfat? Protein? Total lbs? Do you mean standard dairy measurements DHIA uses? Or do you mean cheese yield? Average per year or average per lactation period for a group of animals?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 06:47:53 PM by linuxboy »

MrsKK

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 03:50:19 AM »
There are a lot of variables involved here.  From my own experience, my cow this lactation (her second) peaked out at about 5 gallons per day at 3 months into the lactation.  We are now at 9 months and she is down to a gallon a day.

Variables among animals, and also throughout the lactation.  Sorry I can't really give you an answer.

cmharris6002

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 08:22:41 PM »
Although I agree that more variables are needed in order to give you a better idea of what kind of milk yield to expect, common markers for generalizing yields are,
Sheep .5/gal/day
Goat 1/gal/day
Cow 4/gal/day

FarmerJd

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 10:23:49 PM »
I agree with Christy and Karen. My cows have always ranged from 3 to 8 gallons a day. On a dairy however, they may produce up to 12 gallons a day. My current cow was giving 7- 8 gallons a day in the dairy but I don't push her that hard.

Captain Caprine

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 04:51:16 AM »
I would agree with Christy most of my girls are 8lb/day milkers when they really get going.
CC

TroyG

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 08:40:42 PM »
I want my herd to average 8 pounds per goat. Since many FF will usually be below 8 I have to have strong senior does to pickup the slack which I do.

I have heard some say they want their Nubians to average 1/2 gallon a day and I say that is crazy talk!  :P Heck i don't even feed hay during the summer. My girls have to hit the pasture to get their forage.

cmharris6002

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 09:24:00 PM »
I have heard some say they want their Nubians to average 1/2 gallon a day and I say that is crazy talk!

I agree 100%!!!

Captain Caprine

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 02:04:17 PM »
I agree,
A 1/2 gal per day sounds like the Alpine lobby trying to slander the Nubians ;)
CC

green bean

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 01:11:42 AM »
My Alpine is giving 1 gallon a day. The Nubian has not been bred yet, still a baby, so I'll let you know when we start milking her!  Keeping my fingers crossed for good production!  In the meantime, she is SUPER cute!!!!