Author Topic: new washed rinds  (Read 5110 times)

clherestian

Re: new washed rinds
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2010, 03:30:25 PM »
If you don't want the geo to grow too thick and cause slip skin, the best thing to do is to let the cheese dry longer before introducing it to the high humidity and washings. You definitely don't want to take it right out of the hoops and into 90% humidity. You can let it dry for a couple of days if need be.

What I do is take it out of the hoops and let it sit at room temp on drying racks till it hits the ph I am going for. Then I'll move it into the low humidity section of the fridge till it looks like the surface is really dry. I don't let it get little cracks in it, but almost to that point. Then I move it to the higher humidity and start the washing schedule with a 3% brine. Geo will grow first, and you will be able to see it. If it gets too thick, I wipe it off. Within  a week after the geo starts, you should be able to see/smell the b linens. If it goes too much past that, and the b linens don't grow and the geo continues to grow, then you will need to switch to 10% brine.

This is just what I do from trial and error. If any of thta is wrong, someone else feel free to correct me.