Author Topic: Halloumi Cheese Making Recipe  (Read 16085 times)

kawatiri kaas

Re: Halloumi Cheese Making Recipe
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2010, 10:01:10 AM »
Thanks Johan! looking forward to trying that - maybe even this weekend if the cow's production picks up a little. What type of milk do you use? Are you able to get raw milk in South Africa?
Cheers

Offline Johanyrh

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 05:15:51 AM »
Hi Brett

I use raw Jersey milk for the Halloumi, we can purchase directly from the farmer. If I make Feta I do batch pasteurise the milk.

I made a batch of Halloumi last night  I used 18 litres. I attach the pictures in an Adobe Acrobat file( don't want to post big files) , if you need the pictures in their original format just email me.

Regards

Johan

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2010, 01:35:37 AM »
I am using this recipe for halloumi and the taste is almost equal to what I have eaten in Northern Cyprus during my university years there. They fried realy well and loved by the family.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2010, 07:26:14 PM »
Just a tip for haloumi...it fries without melting because the pH is very high in it.  It is crucial that the cheese be boiled as soon after pressing as possible.

Cheese Head

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2010, 01:36:28 PM »
Francoise, good info.

I think you mean the cheese is very acidic and thus the pH is low, correct?

Also why is that when most recipes don't use a lactic acid producing starter culture?

Alex

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2010, 06:08:13 PM »
I think Francois meant the contrary, as starter is not added, the acidity is low and pH is high.
BTW - I make my Haloumi adding Meso because I pasteurize the raw milk.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2010, 06:36:55 PM »
If the pH of the final curd before boiling is below 6 it will cause texture issues and it may start to loose shape when heated.  Acidity should be low and pH quite high.  It is a forgiving cheese because there is no affinage.  The cultures don't matter much since you really are just getting the milk flavor.  Salting the curd before pressing will help keep the pH up.  Salt levels should be 1.5 to 2% depending on your tastes.

Cheese Head

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2010, 11:25:07 PM »
Alex, thanks, dumb me, now I understand better, pH is high and acidity is low close to fresh milk as no starter culture.

Francoise, thanks, I was also thinking that adding starter culture wouldn't add much flavour before being boiled and killed, still I'll try that on next batch. I'll also salt the curd rather than the boiled cheese as you propose, 1.5-2% is of final weight.