Author Topic: What did we make...not a Cam  (Read 3850 times)

BauerHaus

What did we make...not a Cam
« on: February 24, 2010, 03:05:00 AM »
We started with a Camembert recipe but after 24 hours our pH had only reached 5.3 where our target was 4.6-4.8 after 12-14 hours. We then aged at 48 deg F until we reached the 4.6pH, another 24 hrs, at which time we salted and waited for our white mold.

The mold started to develop but was hindered by the large amount of dry patches on the cheese. We continued to air dry, though without enough humidity as we should have.

After four weeks of air drying we have the following tasty cheese. We know we can not call it a Camembert but it sure is tasty. The outer ring is almost Parmesan texture with the inside more like dry cream cheese.

So what we would like to know is what you would call it, other then good.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: What did we make...not a Cam
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 04:13:00 AM »
Mmmm it even looks tasty. I would call it the Baurhaus crembert!  ;)

Alex

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 03:45:38 PM »
I agree with Debi and I would add that you didn't get a Cam cause you didn't age it like a Cam, I mean, after the second 24 hours you shoud put it in a 90-95% humid environment, but not air dry it 4 more weeks.

vogironface

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 08:09:31 AM »
I had one the other day that was somehow open to to much air.  As a result it was VERY dry.  only slightly moister than a parm.  I also must have put to much salt in it because it is pretty salty.  I actually really like it.   I can't see myself sitting down to eat it because of the salt but it would be excellent crumbled on a caesar salad or something like that.  Mine had no Cam taste despite the mold.  Does yours?

Alex

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 11:49:07 AM »
Mine allways have texture and taste of Camembert.

Offline michoutim

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 07:53:56 PM »
This is our 1st Camembert...  ::)  But it was nice, however it was more like a Raclette !

BauerHaus

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 10:54:01 PM »
How long did you age to get to this stage, air dry or wrapped?

Offline michoutim

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 03:03:01 AM »

Here are the details re that beautiful failure! I just typed them! My husband writing deciphering requires often the assistance ... of the said husband !

CAMEMBERT « CUIT » 13 01 07

Temp maison => 27oC
Temp milk full cream pasteurised  => 23oC

12 pm => Add very small quantity type B starter ** + 1 x 20th tsp white spore. Mix lightly and wait 90 minutes.
2 pm => Add 3 drops rennet mixed with water *** and mix lightly for 1 minute.
3 pm =>  Add it on gas cooker in water bath  to move to 32oC. Use thermometer separately in the water so no need to clean it at each time.
Reach 32oC at 3.15 pm
Cut curd into 5 x 5 cm pieces at 3.30 pm
at 3.40  Curd seems to be mixed into whey... Temp is 47oC.
At 3.55, move the curd a few times.
At 4.15 put it in the hoop for 30 minutes
At 4.45 turn it over (the hoop) and sit it on top of a glass with a muslin. Leave it there for 30 minutes.
At 5.30 turn it over one more time. Let it there covered overnight.

Next day:
At 7 am, take it out of the hoop, put it on a tray and salt it by hand, like 1 tsp of salt for 250 g of cheese (= 2% of the cheese weight)
Then immediately put it in the fridge, uncovered!

Next days:
Turn it over every 2 days. It is turning dry and a bit yellowish.

20th January, I add candida with a bit of water with a brush, and put it in a container with water and grids underneath of course!
21 January, I washed the rind like for a washed rind (without annatto nor BreviLinens)
February 8th I wrapped it in paper and put it back into fridge

Result: We even tried it melted, and it melted as beautifully as a Raclette!
=> That shows that failures can be quite successful!
=> The date of consumption is unrelevant here  since the is a cheese which keeps for a long time.
=> My husband left the temperature go too high, he should have used a timer! Nevertheless it was a great experience, but definitely not a Camembert!

** Type B starter from cheeselinks for Camembert
*** my rennet is force FPC* 145 IMCU/ml, qui peut cailler 10 L de lait avec 2,5 ml.

And voila the 2d "Camembert", looked good but it tasted like one of those cardboard squares you put under your beer at the pub!

BauerHaus

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 02:42:29 AM »
"Next days:
Turn it over every 2 days. It is turning dry and a bit yellowish."

This is what we saw as well way to much drying before the mold could cover the cheese and definitely yellowing, we thought we had "lost" the cheese but kinda just ignored the thing for a few weeks and got a really nice taste.
I have not had Raclette before, is your flavor also like Raclette or just the texture. I will have to go to our local cheese supply, The Cheese Board in Berkley and see if they have some.

Offline michoutim

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 04:04:56 AM »
Raclette is beautiful, really convivial! And no work, really! So if you plan a big table, buy the 8 persons appliance! 
There is also the collective appliance  http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://www.pourlacuisine.com/im/articles/raclette%252068.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.pourlacuisine.com/list.php%3Fpath%3D30&h=413&w=385&sz=25&tbnid=-99XIlPcdGWKRM:&tbnh=125&tbnw=117&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dappareil%2Ba%2Braclette&hl=en&usg=__BA17E1NI5bAGCEsRGQejU_fLZg0=&ei=842MS8vvGJLsswOhp8HpAw&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=5&ct=image&ved=0CCcQ9QEwBA whereby you put half a Raclette wheel under the grill and the host scrapes it to serve the guests. Usually the cheese is poured over the halved or quartered potatoes (I steam them in their skin, small firm potatoes).
Personnally I like to leave the skin on. It is tasty, and I like old raclette rather than young.
If you buy half a wheel or a quater wheel you can vacuum pack it and freeze it in pieces, it is not a problem!

Yes my flavor was very much like Raclette!