Author Topic: Contaminated Feta?  (Read 1544 times)

FetaIsBeta

Contaminated Feta?
« on: February 25, 2010, 01:56:43 AM »
I have some feta that changed flavors and it's amazing!

A friend bought me some feta a while back as she knows I can't get enough. When I opened it, it was actually rather bland so it's been in my fridge in a vacuum sealed bag. A few days ago I started eating it again breaking it apart with my fingers. Tossing the remainder back in the fridge (not in the cheese drawer) and not vacuuming the air out. A very poor cheese. For two days I ate it with my fingers, let it set in the fridge for one and tonight I got it out again. I starting eating it and the taste had completely changed.

The flavor was sooooo sweet I couldn't believe it! I think something must have contaminated it, most likely from just using my fingers. It was so pathetic before and now it's wonderful. I finished the last of it and I am wondering... what really happened?

I'll give you some details, it's feta made from actual ewes and goat's milk. the production date is 3-30-2009, package date is 6-09-2009, use by date is 2-09-2010 (heh). It is now 2-24-2010 and it just changed flavors. Did it change on the age alone? I really know nothing of cheese other than it tastes good and the few things I've leaned from watching Modern Marvels LOL.

If someone knows or has a good idea of why it tasted so awesome please let me know.

PS. I'm keeping the bag in case there is a chance I can re-infect another batch, but I'll wait for people with more knowledge to tell me if it'll kill me hahaha.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Contaminated Feta?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 02:49:41 AM »
It no doubt dried out some in an opened bag the could have helpped.

FetaIsBeta

Re: Contaminated Feta?
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 02:50:46 PM »
Well in that case I'm going to have to dry some next time I end up with weak tasting/smelling feta. Thank you!!