Author Topic: Lavendar Edam!  (Read 1540 times)

Brie

Lavendar Edam!
« on: February 27, 2010, 04:01:36 AM »
How I adore experimentation! I've been experimenting with both lavendar and fennel pollen to replicate the Bermuda Triagle Goat cheese that Cypress Grove produces--what an interesting combination. In the meantime, I decided to add some of the lavendar to my Edam--using the recipe on this site. Added the dried lavendar before draining the whey at stage 11 of the recipe.  This left enough lavendar to remain in the whey for the 30 minute bath before pressing. A perfect cheese to experiment with! I'll update with progress and tastings.

Christine

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Lavendar Edam!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 07:53:11 PM »
That sounds like a wonderful smelling cheese. Do keep us posted.

Also fennel pollen? Is that a spice or where would you get it? I use fennel in many forms but this is a new one.

Brie

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 08:52:37 PM »
Fennel pollen is relatively new to the United States--popular in Italy, I've heard. It's taken from the flowers of fennel and ground into almost a powder--I found it at www.pollenranch.com. It has a very unique flavor--a bit of fennel crossed with almost a curry. It's supposedly great on pork. I was thinking of mixing a bit in with the havarti that I'm going to make tonight.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 03:54:16 AM »
Thanks I will look into this. I love fennel.