Author Topic: My first try at camembert  (Read 3342 times)

caciocavallo

My first try at camembert
« on: February 27, 2010, 04:32:32 AM »
Hello Everyone,

Just thought I would share with you some pics of my cams which I have tried for the first time. Bought the book that Steve Shapson sell on his web site http://www.thecheesemaker.com/. He provided me with lots of help and info.

So far they look good, need to wait a couple more weeks to cut one and see if they are creamy inside and of course if they taste good.

Will keep you informed on the results.

Take care.

Cacio

MarkShelton

Re: My first try at camembert
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 08:04:25 AM »
Steve really seems to know what he's doing. Especially with camemberts. I got his basic cam kit and made my first 2 cam's a few weeks ago. In 4 weeks I'll let you know if the proof is in the pudding.
Did you get the supplies from him also?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 07:47:50 PM »
They are looking very nice Cacio. Keep us posted!

vogironface

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 08:03:50 AM »
Did you use geo in these cams?  They look great.

Offline michoutim

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 08:52:31 PM »
Great !  :)

At home we wait 4 weeks or so before eating it...

caciocavallo

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 02:32:02 AM »
Hello everyone,

Mark, I bought the supplies from Steve.

Ben, I did use Geo for these cams.

I afraid to try one now. Will wait another week before I cut one open. Let you know how it turns out.

Thanks,

Cacio

caciocavallo

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 09:38:42 PM »
Hello Everyone,

Wanted to share my new cams which I finally cut open and tried. Let me tell you they are GREAT!!  :D

They are a little too thick but they taste good. The middle is still not s creamy as I would have expected but everyone is telling me that it is actually better.

Anyone know if leaving them age longer will get the middle more creamy?

I got so many good comments that I made another batch of them (40 litres this time) and hope I can repeat the success.

Cacio

Offline michoutim

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 12:31:12 AM »
Bravo! Beautiful! Congratulations!
  ;)
I think if you want it more creamy, you add cream in it. We usually add, for 2 L of milk, 300 ml of cream...

Brie

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 01:24:55 AM »
Wow--they look great! I think when you're referring to "creamy" you mean the soft, gooey texture that we all know. Normally, a Cam will produce this result in 5-6 weeks. I made several Bries at the beginning of the year that are about the thickness of your Cams and they are not ready, and probably won't be for another month. I usually let the cheese sit at room temp for an hour and then press the middle--if it gives a bit of spring, I taste-test it. Brie and Cam age from the inside-out, as opposed to hard cheese, and once it's cut it discontinues aging, so be careful. Obviously, the thicker the cheese, the longer it will take to age. The patience will be well worth the wait.

MarkShelton

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 01:49:18 AM »
I'm jealous! Yours came out awesome, and mine came out all slip-skinned and foul smelling like ammonia. I think its because my aging area was way to wet. I think I'll try it again though, and hopefully they'll come out like yours!

Brie

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 02:19:33 AM »
Mark, usually a mix of geo with the candidum will help with the slip skin. The ammonia smell is frequently a problem with Cams. Hopefully, you're storing them in a separate box. Did the slip skin start before or after you wrapped? Ammonia scent usually is because they have aged for too long a period. HOwever, they are finacky cheeses, so there could be multiple reasons.

deb415611

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 11:11:33 AM »
Wow, Cacio they look great. 

Oberhasli

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 03:08:07 PM »
How long did you wait before you wrapped them?  I have the clear cellophane wrap for cheeses, but I have been thinking about getting the paper type you have.  I wonder if it is better?

Bonnie

caciocavallo

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 03:22:05 AM »
I waited 3 weeks before wrapping them. As soon as I saw a nice mold forming thats when I wrapped them.

Strangely when I had them wrapped and in a covered container (which I aired daily) I noticed that after 3 weeks being wrapped, there was a small "ammonia" smell. But when I left the cover open for 1 hour or took out the cam the smell went away. Would it be because of the bacteria "working"?

Cacio

Offline michoutim

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2010, 06:31:37 AM »
We have some wrapping paper but we never used it... And the cheeses come out fine... But then we make a 2 L batch at a time, so...