Author Topic: A New Technique For Pressing Cheddar  (Read 10297 times)

BigCheese

Re: A New Technique For Pressing Cheddar
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2010, 04:34:47 AM »
I am going to be building a pressing chamber as it can get pretty cold here over night. Right now the plan is plywood box insulated with this styrofoam-like insulation we have in our roof (about 2 inches thick) and a heating pad (like for seedlings) with a regulating thermometer. Should work pretty good. One question I have is does one reach the desired PH much faster if pressing at 85 degrees?

humble_servant7

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2010, 05:49:23 AM »
Wayne, I've thought about you with this technique and realize that this might be really hard to do with 20 pound plus wheels. I am looking at making bigger batches myself and am probably going to construct a mini heated pressing enclosure. I'm thinking sheet Styrofoam walls enclosing the press with a simple heat lamp to warm things up.

Or just press in this:
http://curedmeats.blogspot.com/2007/08/key-equipment-piece-4-fermentation-box.html

Cheap, simple and should give you a perfect 80-90 temp. range easily at any time.

humble_servant7

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2010, 05:53:03 AM »
Do you all find this new approach of pressing in an empty heated vessel easier than pressing under whey?

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2010, 03:27:33 PM »
"Easier" is a matter of opinion, but I feel like I'm getting better results.

BigCheese

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2010, 12:13:56 AM »
I'm posting here because I can't find the exact thread where Debi said that ideal press temps are between 84-88F. Based on this I have designed (but not yet built) an insulated box where I would press all my cheese. However it does not even seem like Debi or any of you have such a contraption, so I am thinking it is unnecessary, especially since I am strapped for time and not looking to spend any extra money. What do you all think?

Say my kitchen gets down to 55F overnight, what if I "press in the pot" with a lamp on inside for some warmth?

One of the reasons I am rethinking my approach is because I just stopped in at the beverage people and spoke to them about it, and none of them had ever bothered to manage the pressing temperature except in one instance when the acid production, not the knit, was the concern.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2010, 01:37:04 AM »
I like your idea of an insulated pressing box. In fact I mentioned it several posts back in this thread. A simple light bulb might be enough heat.

Yes low 80sF is ideal. Getting down to 55F at night is not good for pressing.

Offline sominus

• Back Crackin' Needle Pusher
  • Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • Insert witty comment here
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2010, 01:51:46 PM »
Here in Houston, round about this time of year, you don't have to worry much about pressing temp if you press in a "natural" environment...

My garage was about about 90 yesterday in the afternoon, which is where the monster press is... That may be what helped press the gouda I made last weekend so nicely... (Well, that and an unintended 6 psi)...

-Michael
--
Michael Dow

BigCheese

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2010, 02:03:38 PM »
From what I understand Michael you need to be careful though, because your near the temp. where you will start losing fat from the cheese.

fuzziebear3

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2010, 01:12:57 AM »
Wow, this is a great thought, and might help in my next cheeses. 

I love it when my hobbies cross ... I have an 'proofing box' that I use when I work with bread and yeast starters.  It sounds fancy, but really it is just a cheap styrofoam cooler, and I poked a lightbulb socket through it. A low watt bulb makes it about 85 in there.  I might be able to use that.  I also sometimes put a small lamp in a small closet, to raise breads there, that is also about 85 degrees.

Cheesetart

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2010, 01:39:28 AM »
I'm hoping this method helps with some traditional cheddar that I made today.  Sailor, I have used your method before with really good results -- but this time, my curds seem to be fighting with me.  Typically, I think I cut curds too small - maybe this time  they are too big -- not sure.  But after the first pressing, they aren't where I would have expected...........press number 2 under way -- we'll see what happens.......

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2010, 01:46:07 AM »
I "mill" cheddar by pressing the curds through egg crate. Makes 1/2" X 1/2" cubes. Bigger pieces are harder to press.

Any salted curd cheese like cheddar requires much more weight for pressing than other cheeses. Pressing In The Pot at 85-90F gives the process a good start.

Cheesetart

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2010, 01:52:59 AM »
So based on your experience, if the curds don't knit well after pressing over night, can I heat them, "mill" them, and press again?

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2010, 02:11:59 AM »
I can't say that I would recommend doing that. It's possible, but I have never tried remilling and repressing. The pH is not the same and probably won't work well.

Cheesetart

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2010, 12:01:30 PM »
Well, to my pleasant surprise this morning, they have knitted together quite nicely!  Trying to decide if I want to press a bit more -- or let them sit and dry.........

Cheesetart

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2010, 01:45:25 PM »
I have decided to press for another 6 hours.  Just to even out the top and bottom.  THen I will let them dry.  I really do think that pressing in the pot was a bit factor in taking this pile of "rocks" and getting them to come together.