Author Topic: Havarti with Fennel Pollen  (Read 6156 times)

Brie

Havarti with Fennel Pollen
« on: February 28, 2010, 04:45:14 AM »
It appears that fennel pollen is the new spice of the week--popular in Italy, but just discovered in the US. What a great aroma! I decided to incorporate into my havarti tonight, and we shall taste the results. I am also marinating this pollen with some olive oil on lamb chops to be grilled tomorrow. Experimentation rules!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Havarti with Fennel Pollen
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 05:54:43 AM »
I just ordered some from your link and added dill pollen for my next Havarti.  ;D

Brie

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 06:10:01 AM »
I will be extremely interested to hear what you do with this, Debi--you are always so inventive. I am thinking the fennel pollen may work into your sausage-making as well.  Made the havarti tonight and the fennel pollen has such a great aroma!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 06:22:03 AM »
I can't wait to try them.  I only ordered 1 oz of each so I don't know what that equates to in teaspoons. I may just reserve this for special dishes at that price.

I was thinking an asiago or gouda would be a good place to try this stuff and of course havarti for the dill -

Brie

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 06:34:27 AM »
I bought the 4 oz pkg, and it is more than 2 cups! You'll be good with one oz. for trials. Of course, the havarti won't be ready for a few months, but the lamb will be ready tomorrow, so I'll update you on that!

Cheesetart

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 10:41:50 PM »
Sounds very interesting -- both the Havarti and the lamb!  i'm going to have to try this soon!  If only I could stay home and make cheese all day!  Brie -- is there a link to the fennel pollen?  Deb references it, but unless I am missing something, I don't see the link.  Thanks!

Cheesetart

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 10:44:26 PM »
Oops!  I see the link in the previous thread!  Got it!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 04:18:48 AM »
I love to experiment with spices. I finally got some Cumin seeds and I don't remeber what I wanted them for. I knew that was going to happen. Somebody made a cheese with it and it looked really good.   ::)

Oh well I finally found a place to get a good deal on salt too maybe I should post that on it's own ...

Opps! Should have been cumin not sumin!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 02:13:27 AM by DeejayDebi »

Brie

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 05:13:13 AM »
Did you mean cumin seeds? I've never heard of summin seeds--do tell. Did note the salt sale you tagged on to--thanks! I go through a ton of it with the brines.

Missy Greene

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 04:59:56 PM »
how does the fennel pollen differ from ground fennel seed in flavor??? I know they use fenel pollen in cypress grove's purple haze chevre.
 Missy

Brie

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 01:54:34 AM »
Which is exactly why I bought this Missy--to replicate the Cypress Grove cheese. The pollen has a much more flowery taste (as it's taken from the flower of the fennel), with almost a slight curry taste-quite delictable!

Missy Greene

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 02:32:24 AM »
Hey Brie,
 I use regular fresh ground fennel seed and lavender in my chevre..copying that  purple haze a bit... it is good even with the regular  fennel, i would imagine that the pollen is "sweeter" mostly because it makes me think of my bees. Anyway, I love that mixture with a thick slice of really good pumpernickle bread, the chevre, and pears or apples..mmm mmmm good and a nice cup of good red wine...Missy

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 02:17:42 AM »
Sorry Brie typo - I edited the post it should have said cumin not sumin. I got the salt in already. Should hold me a few months now. Brining does take a serious amount of salt. I have bunches of coffe cans I will put it in so I don't have to try to drag that 50 pound bag up the stairs. very wobbly bag!

Missy Greene

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 02:19:19 AM »
 so whee did youget the fennel pollen????

Brie

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 04:22:42 AM »