Author Topic: Havarti with Fennel Pollen  (Read 6140 times)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Havarti with Fennel Pollen
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2010, 04:34:20 PM »
Apparently their order program had a glitch and my order went in as international so they emailed me to re-order. I tried twice with the same result so I called it in.

A very nice lady name Elizabeth answered and was very helpful. I upped the order to 4 oz each of the fennel and dill pollens based on your discussion and they are sending me a sample of the lavender and fennel salt I think? for the problem I had ordering. That's really nice. Can't wait to try this stuff. I am making butters this weekend I wish it was here now!

deb415611

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2010, 11:32:26 PM »
Thanks for the link.  I ordered fennel pollen, dill pollen, and the Italian Sausage spice.   

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2010, 04:26:05 PM »
Deb -

I have a thread on my forum for Italian sausage that is just as good a Perri's Italian sausage (my favorite commercial sausage) there's one for sweet and one for hot. Very inexpensive to make.

deb415611

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2010, 05:25:56 PM »
Thanks Debi!

As soon as I free up at work I'm going to spend a day making sausage and try a few different recipes.  I thought I would try the mix from pollen ranch figuring it had the fennel pollen in it .   I will try your recipes too.  There are alot of things on your forum I want to try :)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2010, 05:54:46 PM »
I am dying to try the fennel pollen in sausages!

Brie

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2010, 12:05:14 AM »
What kind of meat are thinking about trying them with to begin? I am dying to hear your results. My havarti smells wonderful!

deb415611

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2010, 12:29:46 AM »
I'll probably make my sausage with pork though have been thinking about trying some using chicken thighs.

deb415611

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2010, 02:47:10 PM »
I just got yesterday's mail.  The items I ordered from Pollen Ranch on Wednesday arrived.  That was quick for CA to CT :) 

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2010, 04:25:45 PM »
That is fast I can't wait. Of course I don't have anything to do with them right now, I did my butters, sausages, BBQ and cheese yesterday but I will!

deb415611

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2010, 09:42:33 PM »
Debi - I'm sure there is something to do with them.....   I have potatoes on the grill, I'm going to make a grilled potato salad and use some of the dill pollen.  It smells awesome, I love dill. 

Cheesetart

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2010, 12:57:03 AM »
My pollens arrived on Friday.  The aroma of the dill was so intoxicating that I was up all night thinking about what to do with it!  My husband was smoking some ribs for dinner Saturday night and I decided to make a potato salad to go along with it! All I can say is OMG!!  The flavor is as close to fresh as you can get.  It added a freshness that you just don't get with dried herbs. I can't wait to try the fennel pollen next! 

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2010, 02:28:34 AM »
That's true all my meats and sausage are smoked for the week but I still have to make veggies! I love dill on veggies or in my tuna sammies or almost anything fresh. I was just upset because I am not smoking or making cheese or sausage next weekend I am taking the weekend off! Well maybe we'll see ...  That's the plan anyway. I will have to leave the house for that to happen I am sure.

I just checked the UPS thingy mine are still in CA somewhere ...  :-[

Missy Greene

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2010, 02:19:05 AM »
this is such a fun conversation you guys, i think i will order some and also try the dill pollen in my garlic dill chevre.....
what about trying it in a gouda?? Deejay Debi...have you thought about that one yet????? you seem to be the queen of experimenting with great success!
 Missy

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2010, 02:41:00 AM »
Have I thought about dill in gouda? No not really. I have been to bust trying develop new stuff thiss year to experiment much with old stuff much. There is one here somewhere though I can not remember what it was that had cumming seeds in it I wanted to make and I just got 1 pound of seeds in and I can not remember what the cheese was. I think I need to experiment with ginsing or something - sheesh!