Author Topic: Cheddar Cultures  (Read 22501 times)

linuxboy

Re: Cheddar Cultures
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2010, 04:56:30 AM »
Sailor, it's just an additive. It's similar to the "butter flavor" extract you use for ice cream. It's when you want to add a buttery note to a cheese product without using the natural byproducts of fermentation. In other words, for regular use, it's not even a consideration. For processed foods and specialty products, it's a chemical to keep in mind when targeting a specific flavor blend.

linuxboy

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2010, 05:09:41 PM »
Wayne, recommendation for cheddar is the 600 series for frozen, and any of the 700 series for DVS. They are the same cultures but in different formats. The selection of the specific 700 strain depends on what you want WRT acidification rate and salt tolerance and other characteristics like that. Similar proteolytic and flavor profiles for all the 700 series.

wharris

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2010, 06:32:32 PM »
That's good to know.
I am more accustomed to DVS.  So I will probably go with that.

I do not have an operational  process that is so rigid and consistant, that I require any specific culture.  I could probably make any culture work.

I would prefer something middle of the road.

704, 707,  whatever it takes....

;)

SueVT

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2010, 02:35:13 AM »
I love my cheddar, and wouldn't want to change a thing... and there are no fancy cultures...
I think it's mostly about the milk, and also making it clothbound.
You won't get the same flavor with a waxed cheese.  I have thought that some of the flavoring cultures out there are trying to simulate what you get by just making clothbound cheddar..

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2010, 06:03:36 PM »
I do agree that the milk is the most important factor. I have made clothboard lard bandaged cheese and natural rinds most of my adult life. I hate waxed cheese. Could be my imagination but I taste it or smell it or something. I do like the vacuum packed cheese as well as the bandaged one and it less messy. I think the key is in the first month or so of aging.

wharris

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2010, 10:22:39 PM »
I would agree with both.  The milk is in fact the most important thing. I also prefer to wax or bandage.  (I really like to bandage)
But unfortunately, the milk is not something i can tweak.  It is what it is.

So, in contemplating those things I can change, culture is the easiest. 

The bottom line is that I would like a different cheddar taste and trying a different culture sounds interesting.

padams

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2010, 11:00:44 PM »
You are right, Wayne.  Not having control over your milk supply, you cannot adjust it for flavor.  homemilkers are able to do that.  I can remember, as a child, noticeing by flavor when our cows had silage added to their feed in the winter.

Your idea is interesting...and I had no idea that there were so many cultures out there until this was brought up!  I think you are on the right track....change one variable at a time until you are happy with the result.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2010, 04:57:38 PM »
The different breeds, feeds and grasses are what make the imported cheeses what they are. Hence the detailed descriptions in DOP certificates. What type of grass, feed, time of year etc.

We have to used cultures to imitate as closely as posible those things like adding lipase to make Italian cheeses when they don't have to. I think you are on the right track Wayne. It could just be a matter of tweaking the amounts of the cultures you do use.

Good luck and keep us posted!

wharris

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2010, 05:13:51 PM »
I have ordered the FD DVS R707 Mesophilic Culture (CHR Hansen's) from Kelly Supply.

I opted not to go with the Adjunct culture because of the shipping costs.  (Dry Ice, Cooler, Overnight...etc)

But I will have the Culture in about a month.  The product is on back order. 

This is a carton of 10 packets.  Of those,  I will be making about 7 of those available to whoever is interested, at cost plus shipping.

I think the cost will be about $6.90USD/per packet.  I have no idea about shipping.

So, around the end of April, i expect to have these.

linuxboy

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2010, 06:10:51 PM »
That's great, Wayne. Backorder means they have it scheduled for a fresh batch, so you'll be getting really viable freeze dried cultures that should last for many years. That's a good price for a 50 unit pack. And April is not too hot, so even if you send the packs first class mail, the cultures should be fine. Looking forward to hearing how it turns out.

wharris

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2010, 06:12:43 PM »
Thanks,  hopefully others will want some of this batch as I will never be able to go through it fast enough.

MarkShelton

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2010, 07:20:34 PM »
I'm in for 1. Let me know when it comes in. How many gallons is one packet good for?

linuxboy

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2010, 07:29:14 PM »
50U is for 500 liters, or 132 gallons, assuming 1% inoculation rate.

MarkShelton

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2010, 07:31:36 PM »
I think I can use that up in a year :D

wharris

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2010, 07:38:16 PM »
Mark, I will put you down for 1. 

6 to go.