Author Topic: Camembert Frustration  (Read 3984 times)

kakmtwo

Camembert Frustration
« on: August 05, 2008, 07:51:03 PM »
Hi to all,

I have just been told that many US brands of Brie SELL THE EXACT SAME THING under the name Camembert. I'm embarrassed that I thought they were different! I know they are in France...but how do you guys feel, knowing that someone is pulling the wool over our eyes?

Anyone angry?

Kakm

Tea

Re: Camembert Frustration
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 08:40:22 PM »
And here we were thinking that they were essentially that same just different wheel sizes.  Until we started making them and realised that might not be necessarily so.
I guess they get away with it because the majority of people don't know the difference.
Buyer beware.

Tea

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 08:41:26 PM »
oops by the way, welcome to the board.  Hope to see you around joining in.

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 11:52:13 PM »
Welcome to the forum kakmtwo.

From what I've learnt and read they are very similar, main difference being size and origin in France, here's an article talking about the difference, seems it is subtle.

There is a member here named Merlin who is a cheese buyer for restaurants in NYC USA area, I think it was him that says the biggest difference is that USA Brie's & Camemberts are made from pasteurized milk vs French ones which are made from unpasteurized milk.

All that said, your basic point is that US manufactured Brie & Camembert is the same product, could well be true. Here in Houston I've seen 4" Brie's right beside 4" Camemberts in the store and wondered exactly the same thing!

Again welcome . . .

merlin

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 01:41:50 AM »
In the US these two a just about the same.  The big reason is because we are not allowed to import raw milk cheese that is aged less then 60 days.  Which is why I truly don't like either cheese that is imported.  While I was in France these cheeses are incredible.  Leave it to our government to dicate are cheese desires.  The true difference in the real deal from France is the type of milk that the animals produce.  Most of these is based on the types of vegitation the animals eat.  My preference is Camembert, its much more pungent as well as buttery. 

kakmtwo

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 01:20:46 PM »
Thanks to all for the welcome.

I wonder why, if in the US the cheeses are the same, manufacturers sell them side by side. Just trying to fool us, I guess. Still makes me cranky!

Kakm

Cheese Head

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 01:37:14 AM »
Also, just FYI, many commercial industrially manufactured cheeses many additives that you don't get when you make your own cheese . . . ;D.

smelly

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 08:59:21 PM »
Is this the same in Canada? I feel duped too because I thought I prefered Camembert to Brie! :o

Cheese Head

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 02:33:59 AM »
Welcome back smelly. I think kakmtwo was only referring to US manufactured Brie and Camembert and I haven't seen any evidence, I doubt European made ones are the exact same as more AOC type laws there, as for Canadian made I have no idea, or proof. Anyway, even European different ones are very similar, just originated from different regions in France.