Author Topic: Is it necessary to use plastic coating prior to waxing  (Read 2521 times)

bevchris

Is it necessary to use plastic coating prior to waxing
« on: March 03, 2010, 01:33:08 AM »
My recipe for cheddar states that for successful waxing you should coat the cheese with a plastic coating that is painted on.  I believe this is a food grade PVA.  IS this necessary as other recipes I have for cheddar make no mention of this.  I would be interested iny our thoughts.   Thank you

Sailor Con Queso

Re: Is it necessary to use plastic coating prior to waxing
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 02:13:30 AM »
No it is not necessary. I doubt anyone here uses PVA on a Cheddar. Just curious what recipe you are using.

PVA might be useful on Swiss types to inhibit gas leakage.

bevchris

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 02:20:22 AM »
It is in a recipe I have for a cheddar cheese from a cheesemaker in NZ.  Most of the other recipes I use make no mention of plastic coating. Thanks

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 03:14:19 AM »
bevchris, member Tea in Oz tried PVA Plastic Coatings, I'm pretty sure she has stopped as didn't like it.

bevchris

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 03:19:06 AM »
Yes the more reading I do they more I think I will not use it again.  I can't really see what it's purpose would be and don't really like the idea of it either.  Thanks, Bev

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 03:24:13 AM »
I bought some of that too but never tried it. Someone maybe Francous or Alex said it leaves a residue behind. Maybe Tea?

bevchris

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 07:22:31 AM »
Thank you for the posts.   I have used it on my first 2 cheeses but will not use it again. :D

Alex

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 03:27:56 PM »
I bought some of that too but never tried it. Someone maybe Francous or Alex said it leaves a residue behind. Maybe Tea?

Not guilty Ma'am ::), not me, I allways use wax only.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 02:09:38 AM »
The PVA coatings, which are normally dosed with anti-fungals, are intedned to keep a rind clean and spotless (uncontaminated) in the few weeks before waxing.  It is used on swiss and gouda types normally, but can be used on any rind you want kept clean.  Note that it is only effective for 4 weeks or less.  If you want to use it longer it needs to be reapplied as the antibiotics in it degrade.