Author Topic: Looking to build my own Press  (Read 2229 times)

humble_servant7

Looking to build my own Press
« on: March 03, 2010, 10:18:38 PM »
Okay guys. After going back and reading all the threads on presses, and taking Debi's advice on building one for cheaper and better quality construction..

I've decided I'm going to break down and construct one of my own also.

So what's the general idea we got going on here?

Are there certain types of presses capable of exerting more pressure on molds than others are?
So what are the different types of presses that one can make at home?

padams

Re: Looking to build my own Press
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 10:25:46 PM »
my hubby whipped out one of the 4 post top-pressure (fias co farms) style in about 15 minutes and it cost me about 18 usd.  I decided on that one because it is entirely collapsable (my house is only >950 sqft) for easy storage.  If I ever get my shed cleaned up and fixed up up, I will probably upgrade to a dutch style.  I have seen some pictures on here of some that look like they only take up 5-6sqf.   You can get higher psi with the dutch.

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 11:39:43 PM »
Different types are:
  • Dead push with weight balanced on top like my stepladder & paint bucket or Debie's large can of peas or hand crank and spring types you can buy online.
  • Single fulcrum geared, like Wayne's wall one or standalone "simple dutch press" where 20 lb weight if 5 to 1 ratio gives 100 lb force. This is what most people make.
  • Double and triple compounding, more your British Cheddar metal style presses, no-one here has one I think, some pictures of these power machines here.
Question for you is what max size batches and what type of pressed cheeses, gouda is light, cheddar is heavy pressing.

Have fun!

humble_servant7

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 04:58:20 AM »
Different types are:
  • Dead push with weight balanced on top like my stepladder & paint bucket or Debie's large can of peas or hand crank and spring types you can buy online.
  • Single fulcrum geared, like Wayne's wall one or standalone "simple dutch press" where 20 lb weight if 5 to 1 ratio gives 100 lb force. This is what most people make.
  • Double and triple compounding, more your British Cheddar metal style presses, no-one here has one I think, some pictures of these power machines here.
Question for you is what max size batches and what type of pressed cheeses, gouda is light, cheddar is heavy pressing.

Have fun!

Yeah, Okay. I think I may want the off-the-wall one, as we have a couple of exposed studs in our basement downstairs and it looks fairly easy to construct.

As for the question. I plan on making a variety of pressed cheeses. And I certainly DO plan on making a cheddar often-- as that is the family's favorite.

Is there a way that I could gear an off-the-wall press so that it would be able to accomodate the load in not only for heavy cheeses, but be able to take on light loads also?

You think so, John?

Wayne's press construction looks very easy to construct and pretty user-friendly.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 06:32:56 AM by humble_servant7 »

FarmerJd

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 03:21:25 PM »
With an off the wall setup, you could press with any range of pressures. For the lighter pressing you could move the weight closer to the hoop or move the hoop closer to the end of the arm. Pressing light would be the easy part. If I had an exposed stud I would definitely follow Wayne's pattern.

Offline sominus

• Back Crackin' Needle Pusher
  • Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • Insert witty comment here
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 02:24:06 PM »
Farmer -- I think you've seen my "monster press" posting...

I constructed it using (as the main frame and lever) parts from the Home Depot electrical department:  U-channel, and accompanying hardware.  The "cross members" are threaded rods (These work OK, but at 600-800 lbs have a fair amount of distortion). I also built a doubling pulley "add-on" in case I need some heavier force. 

I can get up to 600-800 lbs range using just a 25 lb weight and the pulley depending on where along the lever I place the plunger (which is just a piece of perforated tubing I bought at Lowes).

Part of the beauty of this unit is that I can go to varying heights as well...

All told I think I spent about $90 on it.  It is FAR more press than I'll ever need.

_Michael
--
Michael Dow

FarmerJd

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 07:43:05 PM »
Yes i saw your pics and it is really the simplest and cheapest way to press with a significant amount of pressure. I like the metal channel idea. Great to have the holes in the plunger too.
These work OK, but at 600-800 lbs have a fair amount of distortion

I noticed in your pics that there was a lot of distance between your vertical posts. If any one else was considering this approach I would suggest moving the posts closer together to make the force more shear than deflection. For your purposes I am sure it is fine, but if you really wanted to crank it up, you would need to move them closer. The shear force a bolt can take is astronomical compared to the deflection force over a one foot span.

Offline sominus

• Back Crackin' Needle Pusher
  • Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • Insert witty comment here
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 10:07:31 PM »
The reason for the distance between the two posts is that I wanted to have 4 lag screws holding it down to the wooden base (my bench top).  I could go with two, which would cut the distance in half.  I don't forsee that being a serious problem in the near future, but it is a 10-minute reconfiguration if I get in a bind.  Also those rods, while they may bend a bit, are cheap and easily replaced. 

-Michael
--
Michael Dow