Author Topic: Pics from Cheese Tasting  (Read 1413 times)

Brie

Pics from Cheese Tasting
« on: July 09, 2010, 06:25:19 AM »
I've taken some poetic license with Havarti & Edam--adding some of my favorite herbs after draining the curds. the lavendar edam was wonderful--and the havarti with fennel pollen was not only well on its own, but also recreated into a center of arancini that truly rocked the night!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Pics from Cheese Tasting
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 09:37:47 PM »
Bravo Brie! Havarti is one of my favorite cheeses I will have to throw some fennel pollen in the next one. I give you another cheese but the software won't let me for another hour!

tally

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 07:19:19 PM »
Brie, I've never heard of fennel pollen. Where do you get it? Does it taste like the fresh fennel you can buy in the produce section of the grocery store?

Brie

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 07:32:01 PM »
No tally--the taste is much more subtle. It's made from the flower of the fennel plant. I found it on-line at www.pollenranch.com.

tally

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 05:27:48 PM »
Brie, I got my fennel pollen and it smells wonderful! The whole kitchen smells wonderful! If I make a 4 gal. batch of gouda, would a tablespoon be too much to add? The pollen smells so intense I'm just wondering about the amount to add to the curds. I also got the Asian spice and the Little Devil that I want to experiment with as well.

Brie

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 06:54:39 AM »
Your own tastebuds will determine the amount, but for starters I normally add 1 teaspoon per gallon of milk--add it to the curds befoe pressing. A sprinkle of lavendar adds another great dimension as well. Let me know how it turns out for you!

tally

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 06:22:44 PM »
Will do, Brie. The milk is in the pot and I just added the starter.  ;D