Author Topic: The Spring Flush  (Read 3144 times)

merlin

The Spring Flush
« on: August 06, 2008, 01:54:36 AM »
To all of you who don't produce your own milk.  I learned something new today.  The Spring Flush concept and how it relates to the cheeses we love.  Right around March/April the animals who provide us with our milk experience a change in the "quality" of milk that they produce.  Not better, not worse...just different.  Apperently when the animals go from eating mostly silo stored vegetation over the winter and begin eating fresh green grass.  This affects the PH/acidity along with the fragrance most of our cheeses give off.  For all you who might notice a difference in the cheeses you make this just might be another reason.  I experienced this with a high fat "European" style butter that we carry from WI.  I had samples from both lots and the taste was so different.

Cheese Head

Re: The Spring Flush
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 04:03:05 AM »
Thanks merlin

I've heard of seasonality with feed as I think I read that's why the reason for more yellow colour in spring and thus the cause of our ancestors adding yellow colouring to cheese such as cheddar to get it to look like it is from spring milk.

Thanks for fully story on this effect, yep another reason for why recipe results change with each time made.