Author Topic: Baked cheesecake  (Read 8913 times)

Tea

Baked cheesecake
« on: August 09, 2008, 09:36:53 PM »
I have been playing to see whether the cream cheese would work well in a baked cheesecake too.  It works well and I have made this recipe twice now.  The cheese amount that I use is the yield from 2lt of milk to 600ml pure cream.

150gr plain chocolate biscuits crushed
80gr melted butter

180gr dark chocolate
cream cheese made above (between 650 -700gr)
3/4 cup fine castor sugar
1 tbsp cornflour
4 eggs
300ml sour cream
1tsp vanilla

Line a springform pan with baking paper.
Combine biscuits and butter and press into base of pan.  Put in the fridge for 30 mins.

Melt chocolate until smooth.
Beat cream cheese, castor sugar and cornflour until combined.  Add the eggs one at a time, beating in well.  Beat in the sour cream and the vanilla.

Stir half the mixture into the melted chocolate until smooth.  Dollop the choclate misture and the plain mixture alternatively in the pan.  Using a flat bladed knife, swirl the mixtures together to make a marbled effect.
Bake for 1 hour 10mintes at 160c, or until set.  Turn off oven and leave cheesecake inside with door ajar for 3 hours.  Refridgerate overnight.

MrsKK

Re: Baked cheesecake
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 12:44:07 PM »
I made a huge batch of Neufchatel last week, so was in search of a good cheesecake recipe when I found this one.  Tea, it is wonderful!  I had to convert measurements to Americanize them, and didn't have all of the ingredients that you used, so made some alterations, but my family really enjoyed this.

Here's my version:

Crust (I didn't have any chocolate biscuits and frequently use saltines, sugar and butter for a crust when graham cracker crust is called for):
1 tube saltine crackers, crushed fine
¼ cup cocoa
½ cup sugar
¼ cup melted butter

Filling:
1 large (6.8 oz) Hershey’s Special Dark Chocolate bar
3 cups cream cheese
¾ cup sugar
1 Tbsp corn flour (I have masa flour for making tortillas)
4 eggs
1 ¼ cup vanilla yogurt (I didn’t have any sour cream)
1 tsp vanilla

The process was all the same, except I took out only about a cup and a half of the batter to mix with the melted chocolate, poured the plain filling into the pan, then dropped spoonsful of the chocolate batter onto the plain, then marbleized it by dragging a knife through the batter.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 05:33:33 AM »
Both recipes look delicious! Cheesecake is one of those wonderful temptations I only think to indulge in a few times a year.

Tea

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 02:51:15 PM »
MrsK, glad the cheesecake turned out for you.

MrsKK

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 06:02:14 PM »
Thanks, Tea!  It was pretty rich though, so I'm planning on trying a plain version next time.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 05:30:02 AM »
What size pan are you guys using for these cheesecake recipes?

MrsKK

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 12:51:52 PM »
I used a round spring-form pan.  Maybe 9 or ten inches in diameter?

Tea

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 08:46:48 PM »
I use the same as MrsKK.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 03:55:50 AM »
I do a Valentine's Day party with steak & lobster for about 40 people every year. This year I'm doing 5 heart shaped chocolate/Oreo cheesecakes with a chocolate graham cracker crust. I've made a chocolate French Cream Cheese (instead of Neufchatel) using natural cocoa suggestions from another thread. The cream cheese tastes FANTASTIC.

There will be a dollop of slightly sour Creme Fraiche and a single strawberry for garnishment. I plan on drizzling chocolate syrup on top for presentation, but my wife says the syrup will just run and won't give the look that I want. Any suggestions on how to do a drizzle that will stay in place?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 04:03:18 AM »
Not sure what your going for but a simple but elegant look is the run thin lines every few inches then just run a tootpick lightly perpendicular across the lines to blur them. I did it once blurring in opposite directions and it looks like art.

deb415611

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 11:30:24 AM »
Sailor - that dessert sounds excellent....  I think I would just test the chocolate drizzling now so you have time for plan B if needed, some syrups are pretty liquidy.  Instead of chocolate syrup maybe an alternate plan could be melted chocolate which will stay in place & set up.  I'd go for a dark chocolate personally :D

MrsKK

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 02:44:31 AM »
Or you could half dip the strawberries in chocolate...just to complicate things for you more!

Sounds like an awesome dinner!  Remind me what the time was on that invite?

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 03:06:47 AM »
I like the melted chocolate idea. Would that work best while the cheesecake is warm, after cooling to room temp, or after chilling? I think I might make a wagon train circle of strawberries cut in half and fill the inside circle with melted chocolate.

Appetizers at 7:00 with some cheese of course. I have a nice aged Fontina just dying to be cut. Or perhaps a Cantal? Or a Blueberry Stilton?

Lobsters go in the pot at 8:00.

All 40 people also bring a dish to share, so this is always quite the feast. So bring a dish, some wine, and join us. 8)

deb415611

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 12:31:29 PM »

I would do the melted chocolate after chilling.  That way it will set fast. 

Sounds like you will have a great dinner!

I now have oreo's on my shopping list becasue I think I'm going to copy your cheesecake idea!

MrsKK

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2010, 01:46:21 PM »
Oh, you have to serve the Cantal and let us know how it turned out.  I'm thinking about trying to make some for myself, but have been eagerly awaiting your results.

Sorry, I have to work or I'd be there!